Luring queen out of nest?

Make your suggestions here.
PeskyAnt

Luring queen out of nest?

Wed May 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Hey AC fam, I'm currently living in Perth, Western Australia, and the only ant species that I have come across is the invasive coastal brown ant. I was wondering whether it would be possible to lure one or more queen ants from their original nest by providing them with perfect living conditions and a constant food supply? If it were to work, what signs would I look for to notice a queen in the artificial habitat?
All help is welcome, thanks guys

JackPayne

Re: Luring queen out of nest?

Wed May 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Your best bet is to wait until nuptial flight, luring queens is pretty uncommon and near to impossible.
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?

Martialis

Wed May 17, 2017 10:06 pm

I assume you mean argentine ants?

Linepithema humile mates in nest and doesn't have nuptial flights in their introduced range.
Keeper of

Selliing:

PeskyAnt

Wed May 17, 2017 10:35 pm

Yes I think that's right, Argentine ants. From what I've read that they create super colonies, and that one of several queens will leave the nest to create a new one, there's hope right?

JackPayne

Wed May 17, 2017 10:55 pm

PeskyAnt wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 10:35 pm
Yes I think that's right, Argentine ants. From what I've read that they create super colonies, and that one of several queens will leave the nest to create a new one, there's hope right?
Luring really isn't a solid idea, waiting for nuptial is your best bet. Or alternatively check the GAN project for a seller near you.
Hi I'm Jack, How are you?