Some clarifications for forums rule 2?

Make your suggestions here.
MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Some clarifications for forums rule 2?

Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:30 pm

Allyoutoo wrote:
2) We support responsible ant keeping: Zero tolerance for importation of non-native ant species or shipment of live ant colonies. Only GAN Project posts are permitted. We also promote ETHICAL collecting of ant colonies. Always with owner's permission if collecting on private property, or with official collecting permits if collecting on public land or protected areas
On quick look this looks very simple and easy to understand rule, but I'd like few clarifications.

To begin, as I (and probably most) understand this rule, it simply means that any marketing or encouraging of buying ant colonies outside GAN(Or similar?) Project is forbidden.

Now on bit more detail, should I assume (when country law allow it) that ordering/importing/talking of buying ant species that are native to your area is allowed, regardless of where you buy it, or is this generally kind of "don't talk of shipping ants." rule? Is it allowed to talk of for example L.niger colony you caught on holiday to place X and took with you home(if laws allow and its also native to your area) as long as you didn't ship it via some service but carried with you?

The next question I have concerns is about people who might have already imported foreign ant species (Where laws allow it), does this rule mean you shouldn't mention those colonies on the forums? For example could someone who has acquired foreign colonies before joining the forums keep diaries or post photos of his/her foreign ant colonies on these forums? In more strict interpretation one could think the rules would go as far as to say that if you are known to have foreign colonies such that would break the rule 2, you would(could) be denied usage of the forums until such time this is not the case anymore.

Lastly since it does say strictly:
Only GAN Project posts are permitted.
Does it allow talk of buying native ant species from some local ant farmer who is not part of GAN, basically people who'd sell ant colonies under same model but without being (yet?) part of GAN? Or should it be interpreted word by word that if its not GAN, it out of question?
I have brought this to the attention of Mikey so that he may address this better for you.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:33 am

Allyoutoo wrote:
2) We support responsible ant keeping: Zero tolerance for importation of non-native ant species or shipment of live ant colonies. Only GAN Project posts are permitted. We also promote ETHICAL collecting of ant colonies. Always with owner's permission if collecting on private property, or with official collecting permits if collecting on public land or protected areas
On quick look this looks very simple and easy to understand rule, but I'd like few clarifications.

To begin, as I (and probably most) understand this rule, it simply means that any marketing or encouraging of buying ant colonies outside GAN(Or similar?) Project is forbidden.

Now on bit more detail, should I assume (when country law allow it) that ordering/importing/talking of buying ant species that are native to your area is allowed, regardless of where you buy it, or is this generally kind of "don't talk of shipping ants." rule? Is it allowed to talk of for example L.niger colony you caught on holiday to place X and took with you home(if laws allow and its also native to your area) as long as you didn't ship it via some service but carried with you?

The next question I have concerns is about people who might have already imported foreign ant species (Where laws allow it), does this rule mean you shouldn't mention those colonies on the forums? For example could someone who has acquired foreign colonies before joining the forums keep diaries or post photos of his/her foreign ant colonies on these forums? In more strict interpretation one could think the rules would go as far as to say that if you are known to have foreign colonies such that would break the rule 2, you would(could) be denied usage of the forums until such time this is not the case anymore.

Lastly since it does say strictly:
Only GAN Project posts are permitted.
Does it allow talk of buying native ant species from some local ant farmer who is not part of GAN, basically people who'd sell ant colonies under same model but without being (yet?) part of GAN? Or should it be interpreted word by word that if its not GAN, it out of question?
Hello Allyoutoo,

All great questions. It is really quite a hot topic.

First, yes we do not allow any of our AntsCanada platforms to perpetuate the shipping of live ants across great distances. The primary reason for this is because it is bad for the ecosystem (even if they may be still native to an area far away, they still can carry pathogens or diseases that can wipe out entire populations of ants, other insects, and other animals) which is why myrmecologists generally do not advocate this practice of trasnporting ant species across any distance regardless on whether it is legal in that area. All AntsCanada platforms are in accordance to what the scientists say. This is why we call it responsible ant keeping. Just our choice and something we will continue to enforce. Plus, if you think about it, it's cruel and jarring to ship a live ant colony in the mail. I personally don't trust postal service people, but that is just my opinion.

Second, for those who have purchased ants be it legally or illegally, they are OK to post in the ACAF so long as there is no talk of where they bought the ants and such details. This area of exotic ant purchase is an area we are and have always been very strict about. Such posts will be grounds for banning for repeat offenders.

Finally, there is no way for us to properly regulate mass local ant trading on ACAF, so if you're going to sell/buy ants to/from people in your area you can do so under the GAN Project. It is totally free to sign up and we ahve mandated hundreds of GAN exchanges already. The program will be made easier with our new website where GAN Farmers will be able to change the info of their colonies for sale themselves directly on the website.

This rule forbidding any talk of ant trade outside of GAN is our way to ensure ACAF isn't a vessel of irresponsible or illegal activity.

Hope this answers your questions.
Ant Love Forever.

Gregory2455

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:29 pm

What if you were to sell ants under all the GAN rules, while still not being a GAN farmer?