Help with identification

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Wolfsong

Help with identification

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:35 am

So I've been looking at the different types of ants I have in my yard, and one colony has caught my interest more so then the others. (Primarily because I keep finding one or two of the little explorers in my kitchen.)

I think they're black crazy ants because of how they move when you try to handle them. I also think they are moving quite a ways from their colony to explore, but I'm new to ants still, so I'm not sure what counts as a 'ways' for them lol

Batspiderfish

Re: Help with identification

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:46 am

Common names will almost always mislead you. This is Camponotus pennsylvanicus. They are blamed for damaging houses, but they really only exploit any rotting wood they can find. Most of the time the main nest is outside, and our homes are merely part of their foraging territory.

Include a measurement in millimeters with every ID request, as per the rules. This should have gone in the identification section.
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewforum.php?f=48
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Wolfsong

Re: Help with identification

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:55 am

Oh sorry...I wasn't really able to measure them, they wouldn't hold still long enough for that if I hadn't put food down, they wouldn't have stopped at all lol

And sorry it's in the wrong spot, working on my mobile and it's always acting up, so u was trying to post before it messed up.

Thank you for the help with identifying them.