Can't Edit or Delete posts after posting?

Make your suggestions here.
Aaron567

Can't Edit or Delete posts after posting?

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:04 pm

On these forums, I sometimes want to edit my post after I need to add something in without having to make another post on the thread. I noticed that you are able to edit or delete posts right after you make them, but then the option goes away once you start browsing the forums again and the only options available are "report" and "quote" after that.

I don't know, there may be a good reason for this, but if there isn't a reason then I think being able to edit or delete a post any time would be a great feature to add to the ACAF.

Also I have a question. What is the purpose of hidden users on this forum? Is there a reason for people to like being undercover? I'm just curious, not saying I don't think the feature should be here.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Can't Edit or Delete posts after posting?

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:26 pm

Aaron567 wrote:On these forums, I sometimes want to edit my post after I need to add something in without having to make another post on the thread. I noticed that you are able to edit or delete posts right after you make them, but then the option goes away once you start browsing the forums again and the only options available are "report" and "quote" after that.

I don't know, there may be a good reason for this, but if there isn't a reason then I think being able to edit or delete a post any time would be a great feature to add to the ACAF.

Also I have a question. What is the purpose of hidden users on this forum? Is there a reason for people to like being undercover? I'm just curious, not saying I don't think the feature should be here.

Yes you are limited to editing your post for a short time after you make it. It is set that way for a reason.

Also if a user chooses to be hidden that up to them. Any post they make will not be hidden. Some people don't want others to know they are online, that's their right.

Hope that answers both of your questions.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Batspiderfish

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:52 pm

MadVampy wrote:
Aaron567 wrote:On these forums, I sometimes want to edit my post after I need to add something in without having to make another post on the thread. I noticed that you are able to edit or delete posts right after you make them, but then the option goes away once you start browsing the forums again and the only options available are "report" and "quote" after that.

Yes you are limited to editing your post for a short time after you make it. It is set that way for a reason.

Also if a user chooses to be hidden that up to them. Any post they make will not be hidden. Some people don't want others to know they are online, that's their right.

Hope that answers both of your questions.
I am also bothered by this, as well as the character limit on posts. I've written a couple guides in my time, one of which I tried to post here, but the word limit would require me to break it up into parts, which would be inconvenient and confusing. Not being able to edit my posts means that I can't update any of the information in a cohesive way. I've had to put my Lasius parasite guide on Formiculture, and direct users there in order to read it. Would it be possible to give the author of a topic authority to modify their own posts?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:20 pm

This is a hard rule. The main reason it is in place is to stop spamming (character limits which is 5000) and the time limit (which is now 5 mins, I just changed it from 3mins) is more than enough time to correct any mistakes or change the content of the posting. The time limit on deleting your posting is also set to 5 mins.

As far as making multi postings when doing a guide, this is a very common thing among forums.

Tips:

#1 Use the preview button to look over what your postings will look like before submitting them.
#2 Use a spell checker (either one built into your browser or an outside one in something like MS Word or such) before hitting the Submit button.
#3 Don't use excessive spaces between paragraphs and other places, those count. Using 4 or 5 returns at the end of the last paragraph and then putting a word (be it your name, a P.S. or such) eats up characters also.
#4 Consider what you're putting out there. Consider it to be very much like Mail or Email, once it's sent it's gone. You do have a grace period of 5 mins to edit or delete it.

Hope this explains and helps to make better and more effective postings for everyone.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

Batspiderfish

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:28 pm

I've never noticed spam to be a problem on the other ant message boards that don't have these constraints. It sounds like more of a hindrance than a countermeasure. I've had to go back and update information to my guides over the course of months.

I'm not that distraught over it, it just doesn't work for me.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:23 pm

Well thank you for your concern and comments. The settings are not going to change, I have been dealing with keeping this forum free from spam and such (we had quite a bit for a while) and have put theses settings in place to handle it.

If you have guides that need to be updated all the time then maybe a off site place that you can link to maybe?
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

AntLove5Ever

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:08 pm

MadVampy wrote:Well thank you for your concern and comments. The settings are not going to change, I have been dealing with keeping this forum free from spam and such (we had quite a bit for a while) and have put theses settings in place to handle it.

If you have guides that need to be updated all the time then maybe a off site place that you can link to maybe?

I actually would really like to be able to delete posts, I have like 5 posts of myrmica questions that I have the answer to and there is no use for me to clutter up the forum...

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:12 pm

We go thru and prune the board ever so often. Big this is that if another user has the same question you asked and was answered it could help them out.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

JohnyDL

Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:08 pm

MadVampy wrote:This is a hard rule. The main reason it is in place is to stop spamming (character limits which is 5000) and the time limit (which is now 5 mins, I just changed it from 3mins) is more than enough time to correct any mistakes or change the content of the posting. The time limit on deleting your posting is also set to 5 mins.

As far as making multi postings when doing a guide, this is a very common thing among forums.

Tips:

#1 Use the preview button to look over what your postings will look like before submitting them.
#2 Use a spell checker (either one built into your browser or an outside one in something like MS Word or such) before hitting the Submit button.
#3 Don't use excessive spaces between paragraphs and other places, those count. Using 4 or 5 returns at the end of the last paragraph and then putting a word (be it your name, a P.S. or such) eats up characters also.
#4 Consider what you're putting out there. Consider it to be very much like Mail or Email, once it's sent it's gone. You do have a grace period of 5 mins to edit or delete it.

Hope this explains and helps to make better and more effective postings for everyone.
I totally get where you're coming from with some of this but sometimes fresh eyes spot mistakes you don't if you've read and re-read it a dozen times while writing. I've been on other phpBB forums that have a 24 hour limit on editing so if someone spots something you can go back and edit it with a convention of marking what was edited. But spammers and spam bots don't usually go back and edit posts.

I also think the 5k char limit is low but not unreasonably so, I doubt I'll write the huge posts here that hit that limit but you could give the OP a higher limit say 25k and limit comments on the thread to 5k if you think that it really deters spammers. Or grant increased powers to users who hit good behaviour thresholds like 50 posts with no spam or warnings and has been active on the board for 6 months.

That said not deleting threads once made I'm totally on board with, especially if they have any sort of useful content that people might want to look up later, though looking for things based on state or country can be a pain, tried looking for UK but because it's not 3 letters it was omitted from search results, kind of annoying.

I agree spam is something we should not want or encourage here but if you want to grow the ant lovers community and make it as useful and inclusive for everyone in order to better sell your brand maybe a little less totalitarianism might be called for ;)

Totally understand if this doesn't change your mind on anything I'm still a newbie after all

[Edit 1: example edit comment]
[Edit 2: smelling mistake not picked up by spelling or grammar checker or me thanks user for pointing it out]