Idea: mountable ant nest

Make your suggestions here.
Drpooisawesome

Idea: mountable ant nest

Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:27 am

How great would it be to look at a wall and see a ant nest on the wall? Well that's my idea a mountable over world you could have a shelf to place it on or just mounted to the wall. Do you guys think this would work or do you have any feedback?

martinnate

Re: Idea: mountable ant nest

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:44 am

If u watched all of the AntsCanada youtube vidieos you will see that Mikey B had some that where hung like picture frames. I am planing on making a 36x24in picture frame nest for when I get my Harvester ant queen this fall. Already bought the material to make it. Just need a saw to cut the bords and need something to fill it with, I'm not sure what to use for digging media. I know a lot of these forums say that its a bad Idea but thats b\c the tunnles may collapse when moved or bumped. But I dont plan on moving it or bumping it. I think Im going to buy some of those small shelves that u can hang on the was to hold the out world. I will for sure post a pic on here once I build it. Wont be untill next summer though.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:01 am

Drpooisawesome wrote:How great would it be to look at a wall and see a ant nest on the wall? Well that's my idea a mountable over world you could have a shelf to place it on or just mounted to the wall. Do you guys think this would work or do you have any feedback?
It seems like I have seen one or two pics from people who have tried this. I can't remember where I saw them though, sorry. Sounds like a great idea though! ;)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Solenopsisace

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:24 pm

Im makeing 1 also.ill take pics of it when i get off work

larynx

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:03 pm

made a few of these last year.Image
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

AntsRule

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:46 pm

I am planning on doing this and having parts of the formicarium at every corner of the room. Connected by tubing :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

larynx

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:56 pm

AntsRule wrote:I am planning on doing this and having parts of the formicarium at every corner of the room. Connected by tubing :D
yeah, i think mikey has one of his colonies like that. pretty neat.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

nightxwolf88

Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:43 pm

larynx wrote:made a few of these last year.Image
What is the small tunnel that runs from the top right corner across the top and down the left side?

larynx

Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:51 pm

nightxwolf88 wrote:
What is the small tunnel that runs from the top right corner across the top and down the left side?
it is a hydration tunnel/tower.
there is a small short tube connected at the top of the tunnel, to insert water via a syringe. it runs across the top and down the left as you see. this is a water tunnel/tower/channel. (i usually fill the channel with cotton to help it hold water longer)
it is designed to let me water the nest with out them actually being able to get to the water, or get out via the water tunnel. the goal is to hydrate the nest without making a swimming pool. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

nightxwolf88

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:02 pm

larynx wrote:
nightxwolf88 wrote:
it is a hydration tunnel/tower.
there is a small short tube connected at the top of the tunnel, to insert water via a syringe. it runs across the top and down the left as you see. this is a water tunnel/tower/channel. (i usually fill the channel with cotton to help it hold water longer)
it is designed to let me water the nest with out them actually being able to get to the water, or get out via the water tunnel. the goal is to hydrate the nest without making a swimming pool. :D
Oh how neat! A smart way to hydrate the next thank you :)