Buy Formicarium Now or Wait?

Posts about AC Gear Packs and Starter Kits

Moderator: ooper01

colo3000

Buy Formicarium Now or Wait?

Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:41 pm

Hey guys! This coming spring/summer I want to start antkeeping. I want to purchase an AntsCanada formicarium. I was wondering if I should purchase my formicarium now, or if I should wait until the Spring. Are there plans for new or upgraded products in mind for the next couple of months that I should wait for?
Thanks!
-Colo3000
-Colo3000

BleedingRaindrops

Re: Buy Formicarium Now or Wait?

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:59 am

It depends on what you intend to buy. The omni nest, for its namesake, is capable of housing all types of ants, and while it doesn't appear in the natural shape of most ants' nests, most species will take to it just fine, so you shouldn't have to worry about any potential colonies you raise rejecting it.

On the other hand, if you want to purchase a hybrid nest, it would be best to wait until after you have captured a queen and she has hatched a few workers. Different hybrid nests are better suited for different species, and it may make the wrong species very uncomfortable.

Personally, I would wait regardless, until you capture a few queens, but that's up to you.
Ants kept
Nylanderia sp.
Camponotus sp.
Paratrechina Longicornis
Pheidole sp.

Barfdog

Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:46 pm

I've only just recently got into antkeeping and I decided to get a Tetramorium Hybrid nest. Nothing else. Will acquire the rest later on because they are going to be in the test tubes setups for some time.
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

colo3000

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:06 am

Thank you for the responses. I am almost certain I will be raising a tetramorium colony, considering they are very common where I live and I hear they are a good beginner species. I was wondering if the AntsCanada team was working on any new or upgraded formicaria that I should wait for.
-Colo3000