Tetramorium Hybrid Nest or Formica Hybrid nest 2.0? (also pehraps an Omninest)

Posts about AC Gear Packs and Starter Kits

Moderator: ooper01

Which one should i get? (Tetramorium Hybrid nest, an Omninest or Formica Hybrid nest 2.0)

Tetramorium tailored formicarium
No votes
The all-species Formica 2.0
50%
Or a Large Omninest
50%

Total votes: 6

BlitzAnts

Tetramorium Hybrid Nest or Formica Hybrid nest 2.0? (also pehraps an Omninest)

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:16 pm

Hello!

Now that I've finally convinced my parents to let me do antkeeping (and not a moment too late if I might add) I must decide what pack to buy (the ones mentioned on the title) so some pointers would be useful

The species I want to keep are quite varied because I do not even have a clue of the ants in Mexico, but anyways

They are the Tetramorium sp E (the preference), any Camponotus spp, any Crematogaster spp, or any Pheidole spp

Since I am new to antkeeping some pointers to the species I mentioned would be very useful

Thanks!
Housing two Camponotus Barbarus Queens!

Also FOUR Solenopsis xyloni Queens! (if you want to, check the journal!)

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Tetramorium Hybrid Nest or Formica Hybrid nest 2.0? (also pehraps an Omninest)

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:31 am

Tetramorium would most likely be the easiest to care for as a beginner. They will eat most anything.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

antnest8

Re: Tetramorium Hybrid Nest or Formica Hybrid nest 2.0? (also pehraps an Omninest)

Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:23 pm

i would first find ants and then buy the set up. it might take a while for a colony to get big enough to live in one.

some tips would be never catch wild insects and leave your queens alone in the founding stage :D ;)
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntsDakota

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:14 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:31 am
Tetramorium would most likely be the easiest to care for as a beginner. They will eat most anything.
At first I would have argued with that statement, because my Tetramorium colony was very, very picky. Then I discovered they were most likely Pheidole.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25