Does 1/2" OD 'Large' tubing fit into nests and test tube portals?

A discussion on AC ant keeping equipment and accessories

Moderator: ooper01

Chewyrockafeller

Does 1/2" OD 'Large' tubing fit into nests and test tube portals?

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:31 pm

Forgive me if I'm wrong on these measurements but:

Test Tube OD: 17mm
Large tubing OD: 1/2" = 12.7mm
Small tubing OD: 3/8" = 9.525mm

The connections ports on the hybrid nests and the test tube portal seem to only support two sizes, test tubes and one tubing size which I assume is small. Is this correct?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Does 1/2" OD 'Large' tubing fit into nests and test tube portals?

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:31 am

Chewyrockafeller wrote:Forgive me if I'm wrong on these measurements but:

Test Tube OD: 17mm
Large tubing OD: 1/2" = 12.7mm
Small tubing OD: 3/8" = 9.525mm

The connections ports on the hybrid nests and the test tube portal seem to only support two sizes, test tubes and one tubing size which I assume is small. Is this correct?
The Hybrid nests will accept all three, the test tube, the large tubing and the small tubing. The small tubing fits all the way into the connection port and would extends partially into the nest.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Chewyrockafeller

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Sorry but how? The test tubes are 17mm OD and generally 1mm thick, therefore they have an ID of 14mm. If I assume they fit the test tubes properly so they don't rattle around, how does the large tubing fit? The large tubing has an OD of 1/2" or 12.7mm, smaller than the ID of the test tube.

I would like to know if attaching the large tubing requires forcing/stretching it over the 14mm ID of the test tube ring-slot. Instead of soft vinyl tubing I would like to use stiff acrylic which would not have any elasticity. Is there a resource with specific dimensions of the connections?

Sorry for asking for so much detail.

Serafine

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:54 pm

Afaik the test tubes don't fit directly into the nest but have an adapter which brings them up to the size of the large tubes.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:53 am

Chewyrockafeller wrote:Sorry but how? The test tubes are 17mm OD and generally 1mm thick, therefore they have an ID of 14mm. If I assume they fit the test tubes properly so they don't rattle around, how does the large tubing fit? The large tubing has an OD of 1/2" or 12.7mm, smaller than the ID of the test tube.

I would like to know if attaching the large tubing requires forcing/stretching it over the 14mm ID of the test tube ring-slot. Instead of soft vinyl tubing I would like to use stiff acrylic which would not have any elasticity. Is there a resource with specific dimensions of the connections?

Sorry for asking for so much detail.
Poly tubing does not connect directly to test tubes. There is an adapter, the Test Tube Adapter, which can be used to connect poly tubing to test tubes:

http://www.AntsCanada.com/shop/ac-test-tube-adapter/

The Hybrid Nest ports allow for direct connections, without adapters, for test tubes, large poly and small poly tubing. The larger hole in the picture below (on the right) is what I am referring to. You can attach a test tube directly into the outer-most hole. Then a little further in is a smaller diameter hole into which the large poly tubing will fit. Then even further in is a smaller diameter hole into which the small poly tubing will fit.

~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Chewyrockafeller

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:21 pm

There are three dimensions in the ports on the hybrid nest? Oh sorry it looked like the small tubing fit perfectly into the hole that is actually for the large tubing. I thought that hole went directly into the nest without the lip.

Now that I see that lip fits the small tubing, the outer edge of the hole with the lip fits the large tubing and the ring slot is for the test tubes.

Thanks for helping me fit things, and sorry but I needed exact dimension with for acrylic tubing.

ooper01
Head Moderator

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:23 pm

Chewyrockafeller wrote:There are three dimensions in the ports on the hybrid nest? Oh sorry it looked like the small tubing fit perfectly into the hole that is actually for the large tubing. I thought that hole went directly into the nest without the lip.

Now that I see that lip fits the small tubing, the outer edge of the hole with the lip fits the large tubing and the ring slot is for the test tubes.

Thanks for helping me fit things, and sorry but I needed exact dimension with for acrylic tubing.
No problem. Glad we got it figured out together ;)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator