New Solenopsis Colony

A collection of ant photos, artwork, etc.

Moderator: ooper01

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

New Solenopsis Colony

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Here's a few pics of the new Solenopsis colony I just moved into a Omni Nest large. Just gave them some honey. The first one is the group feeding after the sisters let them know they found honey. These are macro lens pics via my iPhone. the last one you can see the tension on the skin of the honey to the ants mouth.

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Brentywenty

Re: New Solenopsis Colony

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:24 am

WOW, really nice. I can't have that species where I live. I also have a question: are you like never affraid of them escaping them and the next morning you wake up covered in fire ants. And for how long do you already have this colony?
Ants: So small, such difference they make! :shock:

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:01 am

Brentywenty wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:24 am
WOW, really nice. I can't have that species where I live. I also have a question: are you like never affraid of them escaping them and the next morning you wake up covered in fire ants. And for how long do you already have this colony?
Not worried on bit, the one thing with Solenopsis is that all my enclosures and nests are 100% sealed. For air vents I use a very fine mesh I ordered so no ant can get thru it. Feeding time the out worlds are lined with both alcohol and baby powder mix and Vaseline so I don't have an issue with them trying to escape when I open the top of the out world.

This colony is relativity young, maybe 4-5 months old.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Brentywenty

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:02 am

So you caught the queen in the really early nuptial flight season. I only catched all my queens in the last months. It's also my first year, so... But I wish you many luck with the colony, and I hope it doesn't die because of mites or mold. ;) Did you have any other colonies or have any other colonies because I'd really like to know.

Brentywenty :)
Ants: So small, such difference they make! :shock:

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra