Monomorium sp. views

A collection of ant photos, artwork, etc.

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

Monomorium sp. views

Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:04 pm

So, my Monomorium sp. colony has finally started using the open areas in the nest as a solarium. so we get a peek into their nest action.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Varanid

Re: Monomorium sp. views

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:03 pm

Nice, was that grown from a single queen and how long did it take to get to that size?

larynx

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:41 pm

Varanid wrote:Nice, was that grown from a single queen and how long did it take to get to that size?
This colony was started last year with 5 queens. I still keep them in a test tube setup in a big out world. I'm waiting to find the right kind of nest to get for them.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

ooper01
Head Moderator

Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:08 am

larynx wrote:
Varanid wrote:Nice, was that grown from a single queen and how long did it take to get to that size?
This colony was started last year with 5 queens. I still keep them in a test tube setup in a big out world. I'm waiting to find the right kind of nest to get for them.
Let us know what you eventually decide upon. Mine have done well in a 3D-printed nest. They have filled the one shown in this journal as well as a second one just like it that I attached a couple of months ago.

http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=948
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

larynx

Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:12 pm

ooper01 wrote:
larynx wrote:
Let us know what you eventually decide upon. Mine have done well in a 3D-printed nest. They have filled the one shown in this journal as well as a second one just like it that I attached a couple of months ago.

http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=948
I wish i could afford 3d printing.... or store bought nests for that matter. lol
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

i2chip

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:26 pm

Nice work, I HATE Monomorium sp. I have some that climb up and down a tree in my back yard and there is no way to see if they live up the tree or in the ground, it's just a constant trail of them. Then when I captured 2 Monomorium minimum queens the workers were escape artist. It was my first colony to ever have workers and she died because her workers wouldn't stay in the nest, they escaped through tiny cracks in the nest (I was using an Omni nest small for them, which I know now was a mistake.)