New girl for the summer.

A collection of ant photos, artwork, etc.

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

Re: New girl for the summer.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:48 pm

nightxwolf88 wrote:
larynx wrote:
AntsRule wrote:Sorry I am not familiar with Georgia sp. what sp. is she? From her looks she does look like a stinging sp. :D
Varanid wrote:Is that a Cow Killer?
Yes sir that is a "cow killer".
It is Mutillidae sp. I believe. Not really well versed on them quite yet. And yes they pack quite a sting. Not one I would ever want to feel.
First time I saw these was in basic training in gorgia thought it was a fuzzy ant and it stung my I in the finger def a powerful sting made my arm throb and got very pale,dizzy, and nauseous for a couple hours :?
yeah, ive seen them drop mini horses and goats, after a sting on the foot area.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MCWren

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:16 pm

Aren't they solitary? I think I've read about people having them as pets. Anyway, can you upload a video of you feeding it a live fruit fly or termite or something? I'm curious how they hunt compared to ants. I also kinda just want to see it kill something :twisted:. Sorry I don't know a less creepy way of saying that.

larynx

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:35 pm

MCWren wrote:Aren't they solitary? I think I've read about people having them as pets. Anyway, can you upload a video of you feeding it a live fruit fly or termite or something? I'm curious how they hunt compared to ants. I also kinda just want to see it kill something :twisted:. Sorry I don't know a less creepy way of saying that.
no, no, i feel ya. i want to see that too now. lol. i let these ones go because i found out they are all over my yard. ill go scoop another up this week and record the killin. :)
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MCWren

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks for the (future) video.
I found one in my yard like a month ago and almost tried to catch it before I realized it was a velvet ant, and took a step back :)

MCWren

Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:01 pm

I'm back from summer camp. Do you have a video?

Batspiderfish

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:21 pm

They're definitely as far north as Maine, and they always get me excited at first glance. Most of the queens I am seeking are red. :D
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Formicarufa

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:22 am

Velvet ants are really tough and they have a very painful sting
So it doesn’t surprise me that they are docile

They don’t need to worry about anything
As long as they don’t think that they’re in danger they won’t want to show aggression