Fiction to Non-Fiction

If you're starting up or involved in an ant-related project, website, store, initiative, or advocacy post about it here so people can hop on board!

Moderator: ooper01

New2Ants

Fiction to Non-Fiction

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:15 pm

I'm usually not too keen on sharing my theories and ideas with others, but in this case I'll make an exception. As a mini experiment, I'm going to see if a Solenopsis Invicta queen and her colony can live to be somewhat similar to Army ants. I have experience with things like this. I've helped adapt crawfish, mud puppies, and bichir (fish) to live on land/ a very damp terrestrial environment.
I create theories every week and write them down. Most of them might sound like they are fiction, but I think that I've found a way to make most of them into reality.
For example, I came up with the theory that if light is reflected around an object, that the object will appear invisible. And a few months later, the Canadian government did this and proved my theory to be correct. Its kind of a love hate feeling.
For my 8th grade science project, I shrunk a triop (similar to horseshoe crab) from a few centimeters long, to about 3 millimeters long! I can't believe that I got 2nd place and didn't move on from district to state science fair. I think this is because there is no one who specializes in shrinking organisms, LOL. Why would there be?
One of my more private experiments also includes the Solenopsis Invicta species of ant. I believe that I have found out a way to make "giant ants". And I'm not talking about a few inches bigger. I'm talking about big! All I need to do is to collect the materials I need to complete it. Wish me luck. :P

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Fiction to Non-Fiction

Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:04 pm

New2Ants wrote:I'm usually not too keen on sharing my theories and ideas with others, but in this case I'll make an exception. As a mini experiment, I'm going to see if a Solenopsis Invicta queen and her colony can live to be somewhat similar to Army ants. I have experience with things like this. I've helped adapt crawfish, mud puppies, and bichir (fish) to live on land/ a very damp terrestrial environment.
I create theories every week and write them down. Most of them might sound like they are fiction, but I think that I've found a way to make most of them into reality.
For example, I came up with the theory that if light is reflected around an object, that the object will appear invisible. And a few months later, the Canadian government did this and proved my theory to be correct. Its kind of a love hate feeling.
For my 8th grade science project, I shrunk a triop (similar to horseshoe crab) from a few centimeters long, to about 3 millimeters long! I can't believe that I got 2nd place and didn't move on from district to state science fair. I think this is because there is no one who specializes in shrinking organisms, LOL. Why would there be?
One of my more private experiments also includes the Solenopsis Invicta species of ant. I believe that I have found out a way to make "giant ants". And I'm not talking about a few inches bigger. I'm talking about big! All I need to do is to collect the materials I need to complete it. Wish me luck. :P
I'm one that thinks of ideas and such also, my biggest fear on your current thought is that the Solenopsis Invicta is already a invasive species to the US and est's of damage caused by them are around $500 million yearly (this includes land and property damage, electrical equip damage, heavy equipment damage, crop damage, destruction to ground based birds, mammals, and other living species, and the list goes on). With the thought of making these insects bigger your going to make that impact larger. The phrase "It's a controlled experiment and they will never get free" is one that has come to bite the scientists in the back side many times thru history. Imagine this larger insect taking down larger prey, dogs, cats, small children. Instead of taking 10000 ants to take out a electrical service panel (seen it done) it would only take 100?
Larger isn't always better, stronger isn't always better. In this case I would say let nature handle the evolution of the ants, it's been doing a pretty good job of it for the past 92 million years.

Just my thoughts that's all.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Rovvov99

Re: Fiction to Non-Fiction

Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:51 am

New2Ants wrote:I'm usually not too keen on sharing my theories and ideas with others, but in this case I'll make an exception. As a mini experiment, I'm going to see if a Solenopsis Invicta queen and her colony can live to be somewhat similar to Army ants. I have experience with things like this. I've helped adapt crawfish, mud puppies, and bichir (fish) to live on land/ a very damp terrestrial environment.
How did you shrink them ? And what is your plan for making S.invicta bigger ?
Please tell me because I'm quite interested in this kind of stuff.