Please help identifying these queens

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

antscanada123

Please help identifying these queens

Tue May 03, 2016 7:39 pm

I live in Canada, found her on 2016-04-30. She was under a piece of wood. I got 4 more and they all look the same as this one. two of them already laid eggs. they are around 4 mm, and they are red, but there is just a little bit of black on their abdomen.

I found this queen at the same day, she was in a piece of wood with a colony, so i don't think she's a new queen.
it was a big colony, but i only caught her.
she is about 8 mm, she laid 15 eggs. i think she is formica spp, but im not sure.

now im keeping them in test tubes, the temperature is around 28c, and i putted a piece of egg tray under the test tubes.

Please help me to identify what species of ant they are? what should i feed them? is the temperature good, and how much humidity do they need ? for the black ant, will the old workers still alive? and should i feed her because she is not a new queen?

Thank you very much!

antscanada123

Re: Please help identifying these queens

Tue May 03, 2016 7:41 pm

it should be 28th for the red queen, i typed it wrong.

idahoantgirl

Tue May 03, 2016 8:40 pm

antscanada123 wrote:Image
I live in Canada, found her on 2016-04-30. She was under a piece of wood. I got 4 more and they all look the same as this one. two of them already laid eggs. they are around 4 mm, and they are red, but there is just a little bit of black on their abdomen.

I found this queen at the same day, she was in a piece of wood with a colony, so i don't think she's a new queen.
she is about 8 mm, she laid 15 eggs. i think she is formica spp, but im not sure.

now im keeping them in test tubes, the temperature is around 28c, and i putted a piece of egg tray under the test tubes.

Please help me to identify what species of ant they are? what should i feed them? is the temperature good, and how much humidity do they need ? for the black ant, will the old workers still alive? and should i feed her because she is not a new queen?

Thank you very much!
hi! I'm not sure about the species of the red ants, but I can tell you that if she is fully clasuteral then you do not need to feed her anything until she has some workers. The onlt humidity that they should need they get from the test tube set up. For the black formica ant, the original workers will probably die. (Unless this colony happened to have several fertile queens in it. I do not know if formica is this way or not.) If possible, I would go and retrieve some of her workers to help her. If this isn't possible, then I would offer her a TINY drop of honey and maybe a cricket leg for protein.
I hope I was able to help. I answered the questions that I think I know the answers to, but I do not know the answers to all of them.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

antscanada123

Tue May 03, 2016 10:05 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
antscanada123 wrote:Image

Thank you very much!
hi! I'm not sure about the species of the red ants, but I can tell you that if she is fully clasuteral then you do not need to feed her anything until she has some workers. The onlt humidity that they should need they get from the test tube set up. For the black formica ant, the original workers will probably die. (Unless this colony happened to have several fertile queens in it. I do not know if formica is this way or not.) If possible, I would go and retrieve some of her workers to help her. If this isn't possible, then I would offer her a TINY drop of honey and maybe a cricket leg for protein.
I hope I was able to help. I answered the questions that I think I know the answers to, but I do not know the answers to all of them.
Thank you very much!! That really help me out!! i don't think i will get the workers for her, because is to far away, and i can't remembered correct where i found her.But i will feed her something. Thanks!!

Mdrogun

Tue May 10, 2016 9:40 pm

Looking at this now the red queen is probably semi-claustral.