Camponatous maybe??

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

SimpleSam

Re: Camponatous maybe??

Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:30 am

Kept her wings that's awesome!

just caught the same queen but mine is camponotus nigriceps, cant wait to put them into new home :D

martinnate

Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:40 am

Where are u located? I'm in Abilene Texas and it rained about 3 days in a row. I cant wait to go searching for Queens tomorrow. I have to work today or I would be out right now searching. Its suppose to rain again Sat but I hope not.

SimpleSam

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:56 am

Im in Adelaide, South Australia it rained for one day here but i think it's the warm weather the last couple weeks here so happy they have come out :D hopefully you can find some i noticed the where around at night time and i would find holes around in dirt where the queens are hiding so i dig them up :)

martinnate

Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:29 am

cool I'm in the US. I live in Abilene Texas but I cought her about 45 min east of me in Cisco. I was helping my brother at my mom and dads place and his girlfriends son found her for me. It was funny b\c when I first got there the big black gaster and red body was running on the walkway right in front of me. I tried to pick her up by letting her get on my phone but when she got on and I picked it up she flew. I dont thi m this one and that one are the same. It was atound 1 or 2m when I found her. It wasnt raining just sunny and nice out. Here it jas been raining and windy. Its suppose to rain today.

martinnate

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:27 pm

Today I looked at my Camponotous queen and she has a huge larva. It is so cool, she has about 9 brood, I couldn't tell if there was any other larva because the one huge one was on top of all the eggs. Sorry I didn't take a pic, I will next time I look at her. Oh should I give her anything? Honey or sugar water? I'm about to go out of town for 2 weeks will she be ok? I have her on a shelf above my water heater in a closet that has no light unless the door is open.

martinnate

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:18 pm

Cool, no problem.