Amatuer looking for confirmation

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

FatMug

Amatuer looking for confirmation

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Hey everyone!

I am very new to this, but have been watching the AntsCanada videos for months! I was very lucky to catch, what I believe to be, a Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen. When I caught her she still had her wings, she has since, though, shed one set (still has a set of wings attached, though...) and has laid several eggs, a few of which have reached the larval stage. At this point, I'm really just looking for confirmation of the species, and maybe a little confirmation that I'm doing the right things, so far, heh. Thanks.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/uDVgJ

Gregory2455

Re: Amatuer looking for confirmation

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:28 pm

Shes a queen! She is a Camponotus alright!

Ants4fun

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:09 am

But definately not pennsylvanicus. Where are you located?

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:55 am

She may be a Camponotus noveboracensis or C. vicinus or some other related species. Great catch!

They take usually around 2 months to get from egg to worker. They tend to take awhile. Great work so far!

Mikey
Ant Love Forever.

Gregory2455

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:00 am

AntsCanada wrote:She may be a Camponotus noveboracensis or C. vicinus or some other related species. Great catch!

They take usually around 2 months to get from egg to worker. They tend to take awhile. Great work so far!

Mikey
Not C.vicinus if this is from GA.

SweetDirtyTooth

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:28 am

If the Queen is laying eggs and and they have already reached pupae stage and still has wings how does she survive? I though They needed to eat the wing muscles :?

FatMug

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:40 am

@Ants4Fun I live in South East Georgia, USA. About 45 minutes north-west of Savannah, GA. I found her outside at a friend's house, she was on the mortar between bricks.

@sweetdirtytooth She has dropped 2 wings, but still has a set. I found that odd, too. But I'm hoping she's feritilized & still laying female eggs, despite the wings.

@AntsCanada Wow, thanks for the response and reassurance, Mikey! Huge fan, and I really appreciate what you do!!

I can try to take some better pictures later on today, if that would make identifying her easier, but if not, is care for these species pretty similar? Anything I need to be on the lookout for? From what I gather, I probably won't have to move her into a proper formicarium for a few months (about 20 workers, yeah?), so in the mean time it's okay to just... leave her be, right?

Thanks a ton for the responses, y'all!

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:42 am

FatMug wrote: From what I gather, I probably won't have to move her into a proper formicarium for a few months (about 20 workers, yeah?), so in the mean time it's okay to just... leave her be, right?
Right. I love that you'v done your research! Great stuff! Good luck with this one.
Ant Love Forever.

FatMug

Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:52 pm

I've spent most of the day looking at pictures, and I think this may be Camponotus decipiens. More than happy to hear any other ideas though!

Ants4fun

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:34 am

I am thinking Camponotus discolor. Do you have the length in millimeters.