Identifying queen found in New Mexico

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

gluner

Identifying queen found in New Mexico

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi! I captured some queen ants during their nuptial flight in New Mexico, south of Albuquerque. They were captured on June 19, 2018.

The queens are 10-12mm long. The males were maybe 8-9mm but I don't have one to measure. The workers were a bit smaller still.

During the daytime the ants were swarming in the air, but then in the evening they stopped flying and formed groups on the ground (ant balls, basically) of 5 to 30+ male ants all surrounding a single queen. This enabled me to easily locate the queens.

I put each queen in a test tube with a cotton ball soaked in water, and 2 of them have laid eggs (each queen laid ~5 eggs so far). I've been keeping them in a dark cabinet I don't open.

I'd like some help identifying the species. Here are a couple photos of them mating, and also a photo of one of the queens that died. She's much easier to photograph than the live ones that have laid eggs, and I don't want to disturb them either.

https://imgur.com/a/EoAzWPK

Is this a species that I should provide some sugar water or honey water for? Thanks!

Batspiderfish

Re: Identifying queen found in New Mexico

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Pogonomyrmex rugosus
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

StormDancer

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:07 am

They are semi claustral so offer them a small outworld with both sugars and protien.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

gluner

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:43 pm

Thanks! One queen has survived and she's laid about 20 eggs! No workers yet though :(