Crematogaster??

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

OkyAnts

Crematogaster??

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:13 pm

So I think I got 2 Crematogaster queens. My problem is, they aren't in this part of the world. I have pictures on a good camera I will add later, once I get them off the camera. But for now I have a dead alate I found in a rain barrel. It's the same species as the 2 queens I caught. I was going to add pictures of that off my phone but it keeps saying file too large. If we can identify them, I will need any information you have on how to care for them. I don't know if they are fully or semi clasutral. I just started catching queens this spring so I am very new to this. Also how do I make file smaller?

Batspiderfish

Re: Crematogaster??

Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:51 pm

If you think they look like Crematogaster, then they are most likely "fully" claustral. Crematogaster totally exist in your part of the world, but I would wait on pictures.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

OkyAnts

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:08 pm

Oh really?? Maybe I was mistaking the ragion maps for where they originated from?
But I still haven't been able to get to a computer to upload pics. Do you have a timeline for how to care for them? As in when to expect eggs, larvae, and when to move them to a omninest?

OkyAnts

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Also how do I compress a file to post here?

Batspiderfish

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:51 pm

Upload it elsewhere like flickr, then link to here.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.