Camponotus Sp.? Help Identify Please

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JustCliff

Camponotus Sp.? Help Identify Please

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:21 am

Caught a very small colony, only a few workers and some brood of all stages. They were under a piece of bark so I'm assuming they're camponotus.
They are in an AC Test Tube Portal which has a chamber width of 1 inch, I've also added a picture with a tape measure.

Anyone got any clue?
Keeper of:
Temnothorax curvispinosus x2
Camponotus nearcticus
Brachymyrmex depilis
Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Founding:
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Camponotus herculeanus

Batspiderfish

Re: Camponotus Sp.? Help Identify Please

Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Most likely Camponotus nearcticus.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JustCliff

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 am

After reading up on this species a little more, I think you're right. The size and wide range of worker sizes fits. I can see the little hairs spoken of, though my pictures don't show them.

I actually called them small carpenter ants when I caught them just because of where they were and how they looked but also thought they looked like Lasius, I didn't know C. Nearcticus existed. I appreciate you taking the time to identify them! :geek:

They just moved into their test tube and took their brood with them. I think they're going to do just fine.
Keeper of:
Camponotus nearcticus
Brachymyrmex depilis

Founding:
Camponotus herculeanus

Batspiderfish

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:39 am

They make quite the impression when you see them for the first time. Camponotus caryae is another possibility, but that species will have standing hairs on its gena (cheeks).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JustCliff

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:40 pm

Something that stood out to me was that the workers look just like a scaled down queen, which doesn't seem to be the case in most other species I've come across. If the colony wasn't so young and she had a few majors, I don't think I'd of been able to pick out the queen.

Apart from gamergate species, I think this species has the least discernible difference between the workers and queens that I've seen. The only real difference is the size of her mesosoma. All of the workers share the elongated abdomen that she has, they all kinda look a little bloated.

I'll have to check for the cheek hairs when I get home.
Keeper of:
Camponotus nearcticus
Brachymyrmex depilis

Founding:
Camponotus herculeanus