Queen ID please - South Chicagoland

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

vstrelow

Queen ID please - South Chicagoland

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Hello all,
This is my first post, I am trying to get a positive identification on a queen I found wandering across my bathroom floor this morning. I am just south of Chicago, IL. The queen measures 8-9 mm long and is dark with what appear to be light bands on the abdomen. I am attaching a couple photos, they were the best I could get with my phone camera. The first photo is top down and the second is head on to show the mandibles a little better.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this!

Founding:
1 Camponotus pennsylvanicus
1 Tetramorium immigrans
1 Unknown

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen ID please - South Chicagoland

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

I can't see your pictures at all (I think you are linking to somewhere that only you have the privilege of accessing) but I think you are describing Camponotus subbarbatus, based on the information you've provided.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

vstrelow

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:06 pm

I will try to get the photos to post again, I'm using google for photo hosting. If need be, I will try another hosting site.
Founding:
1 Tetramorium immigrans
1 Unknown

vstrelow

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:12 pm

I moved the photos into an openly shared album, hopefully this helps. Please let me know if the are still not showing up, thank you.

I'm also including this link:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9dvD3k87bcpLravH7
This link should be direct to the album itself, which I have allowed public access to. Hopefully the images just populate as they are supposed to, I don't want this to be a hassle for anyone. Thanks again!

Founding:
1 Tetramorium immigrans
1 Unknown

vstrelow

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:15 pm

It doesn't show well in the photos, but the legs seem to be a lighter color than the body as well, approximately the same color as the lighter bands on the abdomen.
Founding:
1 Tetramorium immigrans
1 Unknown

Batspiderfish

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Ah. Tetramorium immigrans.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

vstrelow

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Thank you very much for the quick responses today. I'm new to the hobby and looking forward to learning more. I'll be doing some heavy reading on these guys to make sure I get them set up right, is there any advice you could offer in the mean time regarding care for the queen? Anything in particular I need to do for her, or is the simple test tube setup with water enough for her to get a new colony started?
Founding:
1 Tetramorium immigrans
1 Unknown

vstrelow

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:02 pm

I found the videos from AntsCanada, very informative, extremely happy with the find! :D

I have seen these ants in masses on my driveway, recently moving young. They've been carrying the next generation of queens from nest to nest. I am eagerly awaiting their flight.
Founding:
1 Tetramorium immigrans
1 Unknown