Identification help pretty please, i'm new in this...

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Muhca4

Identification help pretty please, i'm new in this...

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm from slovenia and i found her in a suburban area, a couple hundred meters away are some fields and also woods. Can you help me identifying her? I'd be very grateful.
Here are some pics of her: http://imgur.com/gallery/TOPNs4P
Animal ambassador. ❤

PTasker15

Re: Identification help pretty please, i'm new in this...

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Iridomyrmex,Dorymyrmex,Formica,Or Something Along Lines.
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

Muhca4

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:40 am

PTasker15 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 pm
Iridomyrmex,Dorymyrmex,Formica,Or Something Along Lines.
I found another one looking excacly like the first one! Only a bit bigger. She is aprox. 13mm i think. (I will measure her when i can) I'm from southwest slovenia. I found her in a suburban area on a balcony. Here are more pics: http://imgur.com/gallery/5LKx2ST
Animal ambassador. ❤

Batspiderfish

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm still not sure about the first one, but your second queen is Formica sp.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Muhca4

Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:49 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Then it must be cinerea or fusca? What do you think? Cause all the other formicas that are here with the same coloration have crossed mandibles and mine don't.
Animal ambassador. ❤

Batspiderfish

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:05 pm

**** wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
Then it must be cinerea or fusca? What do you think? Cause all the other formicas that are here with the same coloration have crossed mandibles and mine don't.
They might have crossed mandibles when they are dead or stuck on a pin. I'm not certain that the first one is Formica. The second one might be one of those, but can't be narrowed down to the species without a good look at its hair coverage. Formica are tricky.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Muhca4

Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:05 pm
**** wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
They might have crossed mandibles when they are dead or stuck on a pin. I'm not certain that the first one is Formica. The second one might be one of those, but can't be narrowed down to the species without a good look at its hair coverage. Formica are tricky.
I am very gratefull for your anwsers. I would still be scared that i'm doing something wrong if you wouldnt be anwsering me. Thanks man.
So i guess in about a week its safe to look at them again without stressing them too much and then maybe take a better picture to see the hair coverage?
Animal ambassador. ❤

Batspiderfish

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:29 pm

**** wrote:
I am very gratefull for your anwsers. I would still be scared that i'm doing something wrong if you wouldnt be anwsering me. Thanks man.
So i guess in about a week its safe to look at them again without stressing them too much and then maybe take a better picture to see the hair coverage?
Glad I could offer any help. Yes, thankfully the hairs we need to see on Formica are visible with basic macro pictures, but it's always hard to see while they still have their wings. Both your queens are clearly claustral, so they don't need anything but security and humidity (from their water source).

Muhca4

Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:27 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
**** wrote:
Glad I could offer any help. Yes, thankfully the hairs we need to see on Formica are visible with basic macro pictures, but it's always hard to see while they still have their wings. Both your queens are clearly claustral, so they don't need anything but security and humidity (from their water source).
Great thanks again. Can just tell me also how often it's ok to look at them without stressing them too much?
Animal ambassador. ❤

Muhca4

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:02 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
**** wrote:
How often do you think i can look at them?
Animal ambassador. ❤