FINALLY A QUEEN ANT! (but what is this?)

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

BlitzAnts

FINALLY A QUEEN ANT! (but what is this?)

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 am

HALLO!

I FINALLY FOUND A QUEEN ANT

From what I can see she is of the species Atta Mexicana, but I have some questions:

First, half in a hole with the wings intact, also the hole had some ants (I saw two, and they were not attacking nor agitated) of the same species, therefore I wonder if that hole was her nest or if she as looking for a burrow to hide (Yesterday we had a good rain, as a matter of a fact I saw alates of another species of ant just inside the nest), also while I was there she just was half in that hole, not doing a thing (not even engaging in trophallaxis)

Second, with all the information at hand I ask, was that her colony or not?
Housing two Atta Mexicana queens! (The oldest one has quite a large amount of eggs now!)

Also 3 Solenopsis xyloni Queens! (if you want to, check the journal!)

AntsDakota

Re: FINALLY A QUEEN ANT! (but what is this?)

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:57 pm

BlitzAnts wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 am
HALLO!

I FINALLY FOUND A QUEEN ANT

From what I can see she is of the species Atta Mexicana, but I have some questions:

First, half in a hole with the wings intact, also the hole had some ants (I saw two, and they were not attacking nor agitated) of the same species, therefore I wonder if that hole was her nest or if she as looking for a burrow to hide (Yesterday we had a good rain, as a matter of a fact I saw alates of another species of ant just inside the nest), also while I was there she just was half in that hole, not doing a thing (not even engaging in trophallaxis)

Second, with all the information at hand I ask, was that her colony or not?
Yes, that is most likely her "nest", and if you haven't checked on them for a month or 2, then they are probably her workers. Queens don't need to eat 24:7, so she was probably just not eating at the moment and taking a nap.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

BlitzAnts

Re: FINALLY A QUEEN ANT! (but what is this?)

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks!

Oh and by the way, I just found that nest

Most fortunately it is in a medium park where there are lots of other species (I think I saw several “small” solenopsis or Formica nests, although they had alates and several even smaller black ant nests and yes, I have no clue of what species, and a super colony, as big as the ones you’d expect too see in a safari to Africa, also it was of atta mexicana)

And while here, although it may have no place in this section of the forum, how long do I have to wait if I see alates on the entrance to a nest? (They quite seem like a Formica or a solenopsis species)
Housing two Atta Mexicana queens! (The oldest one has quite a large amount of eggs now!)

Also 3 Solenopsis xyloni Queens! (if you want to, check the journal!)