My first ant queen

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Bismarck

My first ant queen

Sat May 19, 2018 1:22 am

Hey guys, so. I've caught my first ant queen. Ant queem https://imgur.com/gallery/CFnjTY7 I'm curious what species it is, i belive it's a carpenter ant queen. Now on to part two, so i was rather caught off guard by. This capture and bought the test tube setup today it will be here Sunday.. Until then the queen will hangout in a Tupperware container with cotton balls and some water
I've cut a hole in the top and placed a cotton ball in the hole. Outside of keeping her in the warmest party of my spartment and the darkest, is there any advice as to what i can do to ensure success and the formation of my first colony?

PTasker15

Re: My first ant queen

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:10 am

camponotus pensyllvanicus?
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

Batspiderfish

Re: My first ant queen

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:48 pm

I agree with C. pennsylvanicus, although that measurement would further help to differentiate her from other often-dark Camponotus like C. nearcticus and C. caryae. I don't think in this case she is shiny enough to be either of those, but this is why we always ask for measurements!
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.