Queen ID please

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

invjang

Queen ID please

Sun May 13, 2018 8:41 pm

I've caught this queen last year from my friend's garden in late August in west suburb of Chicago, Illinois, USA.
The queen was found near the fireplace where woods and ashes are around. The size of queen is about 1 cm and the color is black. The queen now have 4 nanitics. They bring foods into the test tube and do not remove after finishing eating. So the leftover foods got rotten but ants do not remove them. So I have to replace the test tube multiple times so far. Here are some pictures:

A keeper of
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Formica sp.

BleedingRaindrops

Re: Queen ID please

Sun May 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Looks like Formica to me but I can't narrow down the species.
Ants kept
Nylanderia sp.
Camponotus sp.
Paratrechina Longicornis
Pheidole sp.

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen ID please

Tue May 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Hello! This fusca-group Formica colony is dark in coloration. What would help in identifying them is a slightly over-exposed (bright) photograph showing off the shininess/fine silvery hairs on the gaster. In addition, a photograph of the front of the head, displaying the length of the antennal scapes (the long, first segment of the antennae).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.