Not sure what I found.. Can some one ID?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsCalifornia

Not sure what I found.. Can some one ID?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:22 am

Sorry for the poor quality.
Here's the story....Maybe it will help ID...

So, this ant was found in southern California. She was about 10 feet away from a pogonomyrmex sp. colony that was being attacked by some very aggressive Argentine ants..

around 5:00 p.m.

She was very exposed and slow moving.

What on earth was she doing there!?!?

I feel lucky to have found this queen. She would have most certainly been eaten by the Argentine ants... the pogos seemed doomed :cry:

P.s.
I'm starting to see why people dislike Argentine ants :x

AntsDakota

Re: Not sure what I found.. Can some one ID?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:23 pm

It looks like a fire ant queen, of the genus Solenopsis. It's most likely S. invicta (Red Imported Fire Ant) or S. Geminata (Red Tropical Fire Ant, like the Fire Nation). Also, if you are a beginner, this is nota good species to keep! Their colonies grow extremely fast, and can get to millions of members in about a year or so! They are highly aggressive :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:, and have painful venom injected through a long, pointy stinger. Warning! These ants are escape artists! They can even manage to escape professional setups, if not kept in tact! I am getting this information from AntsCanada's documents of the :twisted: Fire Nation :twisted:.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Just so you know, a user named Serafine said that It is illegal to keep Fire Ants in California in the topic The AntsCanada GAN project is selling invasive ants. He/She said that someone had to kill their fire ant colony when the authorities found out he had one! I don't know if this information is true, so please either release this queen or ask the authorities if you really want to keep it.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:38 pm

These ants are considered major pests because the destroy thousands of dollars worth of property every year. They also displace native ants and other wildlife, therefore the goverment hates them.

AntsCalifornia

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:03 pm

I was worried it might be a solenopsis genus :oops: ...
I just want to be sure.. The tooth looks ALOT like that of a solenopsis genus.... Are you 100% sure??? :?:

After, looking through pics all night my best guesses are; its either a Crematogaster californica or (my worst fear) a solenopsis sp.

Here are the pics that led me to my 1st ID.... ID'd on formiculture (These are not my pictures)

I need to be 100% sure its a solenopsis sp. before I take action...
Maybe I'm in denial but This is hard...

AntNoobster

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:01 am

I think it's a red imported fire ant unfortunately
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest." Proverbs 6:6-8

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.

AntsCalifornia

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:45 pm

AntNoobster wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:01 am
I think it's a red imported fire ant unfortunately
That is not likely
I am now 99.99% sure its genus is solenopsis (fire ant :twisted: ).... BUT... I really don't think it's the dreaded Solenopsis invicta... Red Imported Fire Ant (RIFA)
And, here is why....
1. I know what Solenopsis invicta (RIFA) queens look like ( I grew up In south Florida and would play with their mounds as a kid ) and this queen looks very different to me.
2. According to the research I've seen Solenopsis invicta lives in my county. Yet, I have NEVER seen a RIFA ant mound where I live. I have only seen solenopsis xyloni "The California Fire Ant"

I am pretty sure about this ID :geek:
Also, I'm going to keep her. They are less aggressive and have REALLY COOL MAJORS!!!! :ugeek:
-I have found no laws that prohibit me from keeping this queen as a pet in Riverside county.

I rescued this queen ... I'm going to keep her alive and in a safe and secure set-up ;) .

AntNoobster

Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:06 am

ok! im fine of you keep it
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest." Proverbs 6:6-8

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.

antnest8

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:47 am

have fun :D :D :twisted:
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum