What kind of ant is my first ant farm?? :DD

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

madsrinker

What kind of ant is my first ant farm?? :DD

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:48 am

This is a worker! I just caught them yesterday so i don't want to disturb the queen right now since shes been through too much stress yesterday! She is twice their size and seems like she has stripes on her abdomen!

I gave them unprocessed honey and they did eat a little bit but then they buried it! Does it mean they don't want it? I have 1 queen and about 10-15 workers! So i gave them a very small formicarium its like my fist!

As you probably guessed i found a pretty big colony in my garden and since i have really become a fan of ants after watching like 100 episodes of AntsCanada this winter i was so looking forward to catching a queen this year! We have 1 species in Norway that has nuptial flights in April but the 2 times have been out looking i rarely seen a single ant! So i took a queen and 15 workers so i could put them straight into the formicarium! (My parents want them out of the yard and i needed them so that's why i took it)

IF you cant identify this ant only by worker i will get a picture of the queen in the following days!!

madsrinker

Re: What kind of ant is my first ant farm?? :DD

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:53 am

ALSO the size is about 0.3 cm to 0.5 cm on the workers! The queen is like 1 cm

Worker: 0.11 of an inch to 0.2 of an inch
Queen: 0.4 of an inch

madsrinker

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:44 am

Also they are definitely trying to escape but they wont eat! So any suggestion? I have tried beef(hacked up), strawberries, blueberries and chicken! I don't have any super worms or crickets available ATM

Sorry for many posts in one but its my first colony and i really want them to do good so kinda stressed out!

madsrinker

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:01 am

God dammit im sorry.. here is the picture meant to be in post above.. I didn't notice before i could not edit the post!

antnest8

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:16 pm

madsrinker wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:01 am
God dammit im sorry..
9) Keep it clean! This for is for everyone no matter the age, sex, religion. With that said there will be minors (under the age of 18) and we don’t need to offend them with adult related comments.

just in case you did not know
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum