Ants id and keeping help

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Alex157

Ants id and keeping help

Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:08 am

Live in Dallas tx area. Been searching for any queen other than fire ant for couple of years. Finally found d several new colonies of transparent 1/4" long ants. We tool one of tthebe colonies cleanly with a shovel. They are now in a plasstic bin. Google search says they are citronella ants. If they are, then they seem to need to feed off of aohid honetdew that tbey farm using plant roots to feed the aphis, not somethinh that even might be possible to recreate.
So questions. If they are citronella ants is it possible to feed tbem on honey? Ans if so, is tbete a way to get them out of their soil nest and into a formicarium?

antnest8

Re: Ants id and keeping help

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:22 pm

honey will most likely work and it's hard to ID without pictures or a measurement in the metric system
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Alex157

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 pm

could not attach even a small picture, response keeps saying "board quota reached" so here is a dropbox link, ants are about 6mm long.
HTTP://www.dropbox.com/s/wcna1x602p31xxw/20180404_004717.jpg?dl=0

I think they are taking honey, but wanted to know if there is a best way to get the colony out of the soil in their box and into a formicarium without just dumping them all out and trying to sift through 3 kg of dirt to find the queen

AntsDakota

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Their scientific name is Lasius claviger, and they are a parasitic species of ant. Their queens will search out a nest of another Lasius species, such as Lasius neoniger. Then she earns the loyalty of the L. neoniger workers by way of pleasing pheromones, and either kills the L. neoniger queen herself, or orders the workers to do it for her. I am pretty sure I have a Lasius claviger colony in my back yard. Then the new Lasius claviger queen lays eggs, and the L. neoniger workers take care of the eggs, and raise them into adult workers. Eventually all L. neoniger workers die out, leaving only a colony of Lasius claviger.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25