I need help identifying this queen.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Was it wrong for me, living in Montana, to keep this ant in my garage?

1. Yes
50%
2. No
50%

Total votes: 2

DeathStarGoBoom

I need help identifying this queen.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:21 pm

I caught this queen about mid-September of 2017 (when I had all but lost hope of finding one). Through extensive web-searches and Youtube watching (:D) I have come to believe it may be a Monomorium sydneyense. However, with yet another web search I discovered that this specific Monomorium species is only native to Australia. This ant is about 8 mm in length, and it seemed to be hibernating through winter. I couldn't tell though because it only stopped moving for about a week (I assumed it was dead). This ant has completely boggled me, and your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. (Pictures should be provided as files. If not, PLEASE TELL ME! :))

idahoantgirl

Re: I need help identifying this queen.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:53 pm

DeathStarGoBoom wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:21 pm
I caught this queen about mid-September of 2017 (when I had all but lost hope of finding one). Through extensive web-searches and Youtube watching (:D) I have come to believe it may be a Monomorium sydneyense. However, with yet another web search I discovered that this specific Monomorium species is only native to Australia. This ant is about 8 mm in length, and it seemed to be hibernating through winter. I couldn't tell though because it only stopped moving for about a week (I assumed it was dead). This ant has completely boggled me, and your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. (Pictures should be provided as files. If not, PLEASE TELL ME! :))
No pictures.
Many beginning ant keepers throw out their queens thinking they are dead during hibernation. She could be, or she could just be in a deep hibernation. Often times after a day or two in warmth they come to.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile