I think I found some queen ants but I don't know the species (California, USA)

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntBonez

I think I found some queen ants but I don't know the species (California, USA)

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:20 am

I live in the bay area of California and am new to ant keeping and the forum. I found these queens today (Sunday, feb. 4) after watering my front planter box. I have been observing this colony for a while now and I'm pretty sure (judging by its above ground trails) that it spans almost my entire front yard and part of my neighbor's yard. There were 9 possible queens in sight (probably more i didn't see), I caught 3 of them. They are all between 5 and 6 mm in length and none of them had wings when i caught them (and i haven't seen any flying around) so I don't think they were part of a recent nuptial flight. I currently have them in test tube setups. I would like to know what species they are and any tips for keeping them. Thank you.

This folder had pics of the queens:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1NoDWMBwEQrclM7sza4GJI9w_ST9aqhyt

Jadeninja9

Re: I think I found some queen ants but I don't know the species (California, USA)

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:40 am

Those are all Argentine ants (Linepethima humile). They’re an extremely invasive species and have killed off a large portion of the Bay Area’s native ant population. If you put them all together in a setup the queens will get along, and you’ll have a massive colony. In fact, ants of this species from supercolonies that can span an entire state, so that means one colony in Sacramento will get along with another colony in San Francisco. They’re pretty interesting but annoying since they can invade your home and kills your ants.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Re: I think I found some queen ants but I don't know the species (California, USA)

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:51 am

They also don't have any nuptial flights since they mate underground, and new queens will start colonies and join with their old colony.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

AntBonez

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:57 am

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:40 am
Those are all Argentine ants (Linepethima humile). They’re an extremely invasive species and have killed off a large portion of the Bay Area’s native ant population. If you put them all together in a setup the queens will get along, and you’ll have a massive colony. In fact, ants of this species from supercolonies that can span an entire state, so that means one colony in Sacramento will get along with another colony in San Francisco. They’re pretty interesting but annoying since they can invade your home and kills your ants.
Wow, thanks and that was fast. I found 3 more queens from the same colony and i am planning on making something for keeping them together. Exactly how "massive" will the colony get and how fast with the colony grow? Are they difficult to manage? Are they "escape artists" and if so what's the best way to keep them captive? There isn't much info about them on the AntsCanada forum.

Phoenix

Re: Inquiry

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:24 am

AA (AntsAustralia) has done a video on them before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1jhQ5OwerE
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

AntsDakota

Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:50 pm

They are either Tapinoma sessile (Oderous House ants) or Linepithema humile (Argentine ants).
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25