Found ants and possible queen in my old flower pots. Help IDENTIFY

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Dearth335

Re: Found ants and possible queen in my old flower pots. Help IDENTIFY

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:31 am

Are you sure, it appears to be a lasius queen, but the yellow workers are Lasius flavus workers, along with the male.

PRW3ants

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Dearth335 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:31 am
Are you sure, it appears to be a lasius queen, but the yellow workers are Lasius flavus workers, along with the male.
Oh god. What's that mean. The winged males all died, I couldn't get them put of the enclosure to release. But all the other la including the other potential queens and yellow workers they have made themselves comfortable in the bottom.

PRW3ants

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 pm

From pictures and my inexperienced sizing compared to pictures and behavior research. I don't think I have a fertile queen of any species it is. Unless queens grow larger over time and I have a 1st year queen newly nuptial.

Batspiderfish

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:53 pm

The other ants do not look like Lasius flavus.

There are literally zero practical visual indicators that show whether a queen is mated or not. Social parasites do not have large gasters.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

PRW3ants

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:56 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:53 pm
The other ants do not look like Lasius flavus.

There are literally zero practical visual indicators that show whether a queen is mated or not. Social parasites do not have large gasters.
Ok so maybe I do have some queens. There's about 4 or 5 wingless, larger ants. I have my fingers crossed because they're so active ants.