3 potential ant queens

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Tzakeran

3 potential ant queens

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:57 am

First queen has a dark abdomen/gaster with a reddish head and thorax and approximately 12 mm long. You can see her eggs on the left of the tube!!

Second queen was caught fleeing a flooded nest with her workers. Queen is approximately 10 mm long and her worker is about 6 mm. Mostly a dark red all over.

Third "queen" is approximately 7 mm long and all black.
Camponotus sp./Formica sp./Odontomachus sp.

Phoenix

Re: ID Request

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:54 am

Neither Images Work Well Enough For Us To Properly ID Them.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

Batspiderfish

Re: 3 potential ant queens

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:37 am

I understand how difficult it must be to measure the ants in these tubes, but guessing will lead to mistakes in identity.

From what I can see, and assuming that the measurements are remotely accurate, it looks like you have a Solenopsis invicta queen and a colony fragment of Dorymyrmex sp. If you can go back and find more workers from this colony, that would be ideal. She might not be able to make it with just one worker.

I wouldn't hazard a guess at the third "queen" without precise measurements, but I can tell that she is a semi-claustral ponerine species, if she is a queen at all. Do you see the two sets of wing scars?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Tzakeran

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:07 pm

I had a feeling that the photos weren't up to snuff. I'll take some more when I have good sunlight and an extra pair of hands for closer, steady shots. I do know where the colony splinter happened so I'll hunt her some more workers.

Thank you for your time,

Tzakeran

Tzakeran

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 pm

As for two sets of wing scars. That last ant had only a pair of wings when it was captured. Just the two, not a set of four.