Identification Help

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

katdaily710

Identification Help

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Okay so I've had this colony for a good few months. I never got the queen identified [not sure why, it just slipped my mind], and now she's been hidden away in their test tube with sand and dirt they've built a tiny nest out of.

I found a video from before that though and towards the end it shows very clear shots of the workers, though she's harder to see.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5VTpKj_RykAZ3hzc0dVUEd5NlU/view?usp=sharing

The workers are small but they have a bit of polymorphism going on. The smaller ones are about 1-1.5mm and the larger ones are around 2-ishmm. The queen, if I remember correctly, is probably about 4-5mm. I found her on a sidewalk in...I want to say June/July? in Pensacola, Florida.

I thought they might be solenopsis invicta, but the queen didn't look like the sol. inv. queen I've owned before, and the workers are a very dark color. Almost black, even in bright light.

I'll try to get better pictures if I can, if no one can figure it out.

Thank you!

Phoenix

Re: ID Request

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:48 pm

Solenopsis Sp.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

Batspiderfish

Re: Identification Help

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:53 am

S. invicta

Videos may be good at capturing Arin and Danny, but they're pretty lousy for identification because of the awful resolution compared to photographs.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.