Caught Sept 4 Toronto

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
ceez05
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Caught Sept 4 Toronto

Post: # 31520Post ceez05
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Caught in trail next to ravine earlier this month. She's 7-8mm long. I suspect she's Myrmica sp. and I caught her while she was out scavenging (hence the setup in pic #2). One node clearly visible if you zoom into the photo.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByhTdhPaBn5rd0pha3FoeFFqVHM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByhTdhPaBn5rU1pMLXFXTXM4aEU/view?usp=sharing

My first time with semi claustral queen.. can somebody tell me if the setup is okay? Plus how often do I need to stick a fruit fly in the "outworld" section? She's spending a lot more time there than in the left chamber.

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Caught Sept 4 Toronto

Post: # 31523Post Batspiderfish
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:19 pm

This is the very peculiar, very late Tetramorium queen. Perhaps she was ejected from co-founding a colony earlier this year. She will probably need to be treated like she is semi-claustral.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Idahoantguy
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Idaho

Re: Caught Sept 4 Toronto

Post: # 31525Post Idahoantguy
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:35 pm

ceez05 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:16 pm
Caught in trail next to ravine earlier this month. She's 7-8mm long. I suspect she's Myrmica sp. and I caught her while she was out scavenging (hence the setup in pic #2). One node clearly visible if you zoom into the photo.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByhTdhPaBn5rd0pha3FoeFFqVHM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByhTdhPaBn5rU1pMLXFXTXM4aEU/view?usp=sharing

My first time with semi claustral queen.. can somebody tell me if the setup is okay? Plus how often do I need to stick a fruit fly in the "outworld" section? She's spending a lot more time there than in the left chamber.
Yea that's definitely a tetramorium queen, I have a couple of tetramorium sp. e colonies and I didn't feed them until they had their first workers. But maybe it would be a good idea to feed her since she was found so late. As far as I know all tetramorium are fully claustral, but it's probably okay. Not entirely sure how the setup works, but it looks ok. Is there a hole in the cotton for her to climb through?
Good luck!
Founding:
Tetramorium immigrans x1
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x5

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

ceez05
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: Caught Sept 4 Toronto

Post: # 31544Post ceez05
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 am

Idahoantguy wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:35 pm
Yea that's definitely a tetramorium queen, I have a couple of tetramorium sp. e colonies and I didn't feed them until they had their first workers. But maybe it would be a good idea to feed her since she was found so late. As far as I know all tetramorium are fully claustral, but it's probably okay. Not entirely sure how the setup works, but it looks ok. Is there a hole in the cotton for her to climb through?
Good luck!
Batspiderfish wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:19 pm
This is the very peculiar, very late Tetramorium queen. Perhaps she was ejected from co-founding a colony earlier this year. She will probably need to be treated like she is semi-claustral.
There's a straw in the middle of the cotton between the two chambers so she can move back and forth. I've wrapped the left chamber with tin foil so she's more comfortable.

How often do I need to feed her? She's a bit of a special case it seems..

Idahoantguy
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Idaho

Re: Caught Sept 4 Toronto

Post: # 31547Post Idahoantguy
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:19 pm

ceez05 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 am
Idahoantguy wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:35 pm
Yea that's definitely a tetramorium queen, I have a couple of tetramorium sp. e colonies and I didn't feed them until they had their first workers. But maybe it would be a good idea to feed her since she was found so late. As far as I know all tetramorium are fully claustral, but it's probably okay. Not entirely sure how the setup works, but it looks ok. Is there a hole in the cotton for her to climb through?
Good luck!
Batspiderfish wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:19 pm
This is the very peculiar, very late Tetramorium queen. Perhaps she was ejected from co-founding a colony earlier this year. She will probably need to be treated like she is semi-claustral.
There's a straw in the middle of the cotton between the two chambers so she can move back and forth. I've wrapped the left chamber with tin foil so she's more comfortable.

How often do I need to feed her? She's a bit of a special case it seems..
I'm not entirely sure, just start giving her some food, and if she eats all of it give her more. If she doesn't eat it then you know hats all you have to give her. Just test it out.
Founding:
Tetramorium immigrans x1
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x5

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

AntsOntario
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Canada, ON
Contact:

Re: Caught Sept 4 Toronto

Post: # 31553Post AntsOntario
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:48 pm

ceez05 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:16 pm
Caught in trail next to ravine earlier this month. She's 7-8mm long. I suspect she's Myrmica sp. and I caught her while she was out scavenging (hence the setup in pic #2). One node clearly visible if you zoom into the photo.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByhTdhPaBn5rd0pha3FoeFFqVHM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByhTdhPaBn5rU1pMLXFXTXM4aEU/view?usp=sharing

My first time with semi claustral queen.. can somebody tell me if the setup is okay? Plus how often do I need to stick a fruit fly in the "outworld" section? She's spending a lot more time there than in the left chamber.
She's probably not semi claustral. I saw many tetramorium colonies having nuptial flights over the past 2 weeks, since this week has been quite hot in the GTA. It was super cold, and because there was such a jump in heat, many different species sent out their queens. You don't have to feed her (IMO), but it never hurts to add a cotton ball with honey.
Owner of;
QUEENS IN FOUNDING //
- (13 Queens) Solonopsis Molesta
COLONIES //
- (3 Queens) Prenelopis Imparis

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest