Can anyone identifie the type of ant species in South Africa?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ricusdv
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:26 am
Location: Cape Town , Western Cape , South Africa

Can anyone identifie the type of ant species in South Africa?

Post: # 31132Post Ricusdv
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:48 am

I found this nest in my driveway and wondered about the type of species. The are about 3 to 5 mm in length and seem to always be under attack by the normal brown little ants. I live in the Western Cape of South Africa.
The ant images were to large to upload but here are the images on a url post :

https://imgur.com/gallery/5zSMc

Please have a look.

Brentywenty
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:22 pm
Location: Belgium, Ghent

Re: Can anyone identifie the type of ant species in South Africa?

Post: # 31136Post Brentywenty
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:13 am

Well it's defenitly a Pheidole sp.
But I don't know wich one.
Right now I'm thinking it might be Pheidole foreli.

Glad to help, Brentywenty.
Ants: such small, such difference they make! :shock:

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

Ricusdv
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:26 am
Location: Cape Town , Western Cape , South Africa

Re: Can anyone identifie the type of ant species in South Africa?

Post: # 31138Post Ricusdv
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:04 am

Brentywenty wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:13 am
Well it's defenitly a Pheidole sp.
But I don't know wich one.
Right now I'm thinking it might be Pheidole foreli.

Glad to help, Brentywenty.
I saw some bigger ones of these ants around the nest i think they are elites? And also saw some of these ants with wings but walking in and out the nest , are they queens?

@Brentwenty Please help. Im new to this.

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 2343
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Can anyone identifie the type of ant species in South Africa?

Post: # 31147Post Batspiderfish
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:57 am

If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Brentywenty
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:22 pm
Location: Belgium, Ghent

Re: Can anyone identifie the type of ant species in South Africa?

Post: # 31149Post Brentywenty
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:08 am

Ricusdv wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:04 am
Brentywenty wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:13 am
Well it's defenitly a Pheidole sp.
But I don't know wich one.
Right now I'm thinking it might be Pheidole foreli.

Glad to help, Brentywenty.
I saw some bigger ones of these ants around the nest i think they are elites? And also saw some of these ants with wings but walking in and out the nest , are they queens?

@Brentwenty Please help. Im new to this.
The ones with wings and with wasp-like heads are males and the other ones are queens, otherwise called female alates. You better don't catch them exept if you see them while mating. I hope I'm not too late with answering. :(
Ants: such small, such difference they make! :shock:

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

Ricusdv
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:26 am
Location: Cape Town , Western Cape , South Africa

Re: Can anyone identifie the type of ant species in South Africa?

Post: # 31150Post Ricusdv
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:12 am

Brentywenty wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:08 am
Ricusdv wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:04 am
Brentywenty wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:13 am
Well it's defenitly a Pheidole sp.
But I don't know wich one.
Right now I'm thinking it might be Pheidole foreli.

Glad to help, Brentywenty.
I saw some bigger ones of these ants around the nest i think they are elites? And also saw some of these ants with wings but walking in and out the nest , are they queens?

@Brentwenty Please help. Im new to this.
The ones with wings and with wasp-like heads are males and the other ones are queens, otherwise called female alates. You better don't catch them exept if you see them while mating. I hope I'm not too late with answering. :(
Defnitely did not catch them , I knew they were not furtalized since they are still in the nest wandering around. Is there any way for me to easily make sure I catch them after their nuptial flight?

Brentywenty
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:22 pm
Location: Belgium, Ghent

Re: Can anyone identifie the type of ant species in South Africa?

Post: # 31151Post Brentywenty
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:26 am

Ricusdv wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:12 am
Brentywenty wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:08 am
Ricusdv wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:04 am


I saw some bigger ones of these ants around the nest i think they are elites? And also saw some of these ants with wings but walking in and out the nest , are they queens?

@Brentwenty Please help. Im new to this.
The ones with wings and with wasp-like heads are males and the other ones are queens, otherwise called female alates. You better don't catch them exept if you see them while mating. I hope I'm not too late with answering. :(
Defnitely did not catch them , I knew they were not furtalized since they are still in the nest wandering around. Is there any way for me to easily make sure I catch them after their nuptial flight?
Are they still walking in and out of the nest? If they're not flying they probably will do tomorrow and they sometimes mate next to the nest. That's the best way to certainly catch them and if they don't ,look after the nuptial flight in the streets next to you for searching them.
Ants: such small, such difference they make! :shock:

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

Brentywenty
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:22 pm
Location: Belgium, Ghent

Re: Can anyone identifie the type of ant species in South Africa?

Post: # 31152Post Brentywenty
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 am

And the bigger ones without wings are called majors.
Ants: such small, such difference they make! :shock:

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

Ricusdv
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:26 am
Location: Cape Town , Western Cape , South Africa

Re: Can anyone identifie the type of ant species in South Africa?

Post: # 31154Post Ricusdv
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:36 am

Brentywenty wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 am
And the bigger ones without wings are called majors.
The nest of the Pheidole is next to the nest of a other smaller type of ant species. So now the smaller ants are constantly flocking the Pheidole nest. They seem to be at war almost as these smaller ants keep dragging the Pheidole. And they try to get in to the nest. Do you think this could disrupt the Pheidole queens from doing their nuptial flight?

Brentywenty
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:22 pm
Location: Belgium, Ghent

Re: Can anyone identifie the type of ant species in South Africa?

Post: # 31157Post Brentywenty
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:35 am

Ants are used to this kinda things and are gonna protect the queens against those other ants.
Ants: such small, such difference they make! :shock:

Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Lasius flavus
Lasius cf. niger
Myrmica cf. rubra

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest