Can someone please help me identify these two queen ants

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

aradzombie

Can someone please help me identify these two queen ants

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:28 pm

So I got both of these ants on Mon Jul 17, at about the same time. They were both found on my driveway surprisingly. I have been looking for ants for many years now and was very excited. From here, I put them both in separate containers, as I do not have test tubes, put some cotton, and soaked the cotton in some water. I re soak the cotton every few days.
The first laid three eggs, and one has hatched. Image Image Image
The second one has laid multple eggs, but they do not seem to be growing at any rate. I am unsure though.
Image Image

I added a little bit of a solid food just in case. Should I add sugar water, or anything else? Thank you for the information. If better images are needed, I can try to take some more. I am from Gillette Wyoming.

Phoenix

Re: ID Request

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Container's Probably Too Large For The Second Queen.
Regardless, The 1st Colony Is Formica While The Second Queen Is A Solenopsis Species, S. Richteri I Believe.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

aradzombie

Re: ID Request

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:35 pm
Container's Probably Too Large For The Second Queen.
Would putting this ant in a different container help her out? Could that be the reason the eggs are not maturing, or could the be due to being infernal? Thanks for the information, and sorry, still new to all of this.

Phoenix

Re: Inquiry

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:53 am

Queens Will Eat Their Eggs If They're Disturbed Too Often Which Could Be As To Why The Eggs Aren't Developing, Or Simply Because She Doesn't Have The Resources To Sustain Them As Larvae. Whichever The Case, I Recommend Giving Her A Small Cricket Leg / Drop Of Sugary Sweet.

I Would Also Suggest Housing Her In A Proper Setup, Since It Works Well For Most Solenopsis Queens To My Knowledge.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

Batspiderfish

Re: Can someone please help me identify these two queen ants

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:22 pm

First queen is Formica, but the second is Tetramorium sp. E. You should not be giving these queens any food, which is more likely to mold and cause other problems than help.

You should definitely try to move them to a test tube.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

DinoBoi4AntsLove

Re: Can someone please help me identify these two queen ants

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:31 pm

aradzombie wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:28 pm
So I got both of these ants on Mon Jul 17, at about the same time. They were both found on my driveway surprisingly. I have been looking for ants for many years now and was very excited. From here, I put them both in separate containers, as I do not have test tubes, put some cotton, and soaked the cotton in some water. I re soak the cotton every few days.
The first laid three eggs, and one has hatched. Image Image Image
The second one has laid multple eggs, but they do not seem to be growing at any rate. I am unsure though.
Image Image

I added a little bit of a solid food just in case. Should I add sugar water, or anything else? Thank you for the information. If better images are needed, I can try to take some more. I am from Gillette Wyoming.
the second one is tetramorium