Lasius Neoniger/Niger?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Rovvov99

Re: Lasius Neoniger/Niger?

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:56 am

I think Lasius Niger, I believe that L.Neoniger only lays eggs after hibernation (correct me if I'm wrong).

Rovvov99

Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:17 am

Hmmm, it could also be Lasius Flavus. They are slightly smaller than L.Niger, are lighter in color and have yellowish legs.

Ants4fun

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:10 am

Color isn't the best way to identify ants. In south dakotah, Lasius neoniger, Lasius Flavus, Lasius alenius, and more Lasius sp all have yellow legs. An a good amount of Lasius neoniger have a bit of yellow at the bottom. I am not sure what you have, as it flew so early. It could be a more rare sp. Of Lasius that flies earlier in the summer, although the bottom one looks like Lasius alenius. Otherwise, the top one looks like Lasius neoniger.

Mdrogun

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:39 pm

This year because of global warming some ants have been confused and are flying at times they are not supposed to. I have caught Lasius neoniger this year in Minnesota on vacation about a month ago. My lasius neoniger already have large larvae that will probably pupate soon. It is very possible for them to rear brood before hibernation.

This could very well not be Lasius neoniger. I am just telling you that ants can act differently then they are supposed to.