Re: Identification issues!

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:06 pm

Any chance someone could look at the picture above for identification

many thanks,

kyle

Batspiderfish

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Niger-group Lasius cannot be definitively identified without closeup pictures of the antennae and mandibles.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

OxfordshireAnts

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:34 pm

awesome! thanks what i think i will do is invest in a goodish camera and when i try get good head shots it just goes blurry.

many thanks!!

kyle

Batspiderfish

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:41 pm

OxfordshireAnts wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:34 pm
awesome! thanks what i think i will do is invest in a goodish camera and when i try get good head shots it just goes blurry.

many thanks!!

kyle
Investigating lens coupling or macro adapters may be a frugal choice.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

OxfordshireAnts

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:52 pm

i'm pretty sure there all lasius niger and lasius flavus Caught them all in Oxforshire in UK.

Just i got varies sizes i think. they all layed eggs and tending to broad so 100% not parasites.

and i think it's just red ants, lasius niger and flavus in my area.

many thanks,

i will 100% try a macro lens first!!

many thanks

kyle :)

Batspiderfish

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Don't underestimate England's ant diversity. There are over 50 species overall, and most of the ants you've named have numerous cousins which look very similar.

OxfordshireAnts

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:20 pm

very True i know, of about 15-20 myself. i went looking for some when catching the ones i have to find some formica species. Mainly the formica sanguinea. no luck at all.

was hoping for a pavement ant also !

well one thing i think im pretty sure about now is there all part of the lasius family. what i will do it get a lens(x45 zoom) look at the heads etc and separate each type into its own box ( mine are in shoe boxes in test tube setups in the cupboard) then take a photo of the types a post them here.

I'm new to the hobby but i aspire to be someone who can help people with all English ants here on the Forum.

pretty sure none are social parasites though as they all have broad and most social parasites have to have a host.