I may have caught a queen?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jadeninja9

Re: I may have caught a queen?

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:46 am

You could sell them when workers arrive. But it wouldn't be that hard to take care of the queen. When it's cold just hibernate her colony. Then when it's warming up just take her out and let her adjust to the new temp. Atfirst the colony would look dead, but they move their antennae slightly so you'd be able to tell if they are alive or not. Releasing her would be bad cause she wouldn't be used to the outside temperature and she wouldn't want to leave the tube.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Uskall

Re: I may have caught a queen?

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:14 am

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:46 am
You could sell them when workers arrive. But it wouldn't be that hard to take care of the queen. When it's cold just hibernate her colony. Then when it's warming up just take her out and let her adjust to the new temp. Atfirst the colony would look dead, but they move their antennae slightly so you'd be able to tell if they are alive or not. Releasing her would be bad cause she wouldn't be used to the outside temperature and she wouldn't want to leave the tube.
Oh okay, I'll keep her and release her in the spring then, most likely. We do have a balcony so it would be easy to keep an eye on the tiny colony as they hibernate and wake up. What about food? Should I give them honey or like a smushed bug when the workers arrive or just leave them be?