I may have caught a queen?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

User avatar
Nathant
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:57 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: I may have caught a queen?

Post: # 28008Post Nathant
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Please take a measurement with a ruler. This looks like a Lasius sp. queen.

idahoantgirl
Posts: 711
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: I may have caught a queen?

Post: # 28016Post idahoantgirl
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:28 pm

Considering the time of year she was caught, I would suggest Lasius Neoniger.
Proverbs 6:6-11

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

User avatar
Nathant
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:57 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: I may have caught a queen?

Post: # 28218Post Nathant
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:32 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:28 pm
Considering the time of year she was caught, I would suggest Lasius Neoniger.
There's no L. neoniger in Eurasia.

Uskall
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:36 pm
Location: Stockholm

Re: I may have caught a queen?

Post: # 28679Post Uskall
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Nathant wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:41 pm
Please take a measurement with a ruler. This looks like a Lasius sp. queen.
She is about 7-8mm's I think, it was kind of hard to measure her as she kept moving around. I'm pretty sure it's either a lasius niger or neglectus one, both seem to live here in Sweden too. I've had her for a little over a week now and tried to leave her alone as much as possible. But I cleaned out her container today from ant poops and saw that she still has her wings. Does this mean she's not mated yet or just doesn't feel safe in one way or another? This is my first time ever housing an ant so I have no idea :0

User avatar
Nathant
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:57 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: I may have caught a queen?

Post: # 29431Post Nathant
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 am

Uskall wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:08 pm
Nathant wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:41 pm
Please take a measurement with a ruler. This looks like a Lasius sp. queen.
She is about 7-8mm's I think, it was kind of hard to measure her as she kept moving around. I'm pretty sure it's either a lasius niger or neglectus one, both seem to live here in Sweden too. I've had her for a little over a week now and tried to leave her alone as much as possible. But I cleaned out her container today from ant poops and saw that she still has her wings. Does this mean she's not mated yet or just doesn't feel safe in one way or another? This is my first time ever housing an ant so I have no idea :0
There's no way to tell if a queen has mated or not whether they have wings or not. She is Lasius.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest