Species ID and wing problem

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Lyds001

Species ID and wing problem

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:43 am

My Queen ant has laid eggs but has not dropped her wings! I caught this Queen in England, I've had her for four days and she's laid eggs already but I was expecting her to to drop her wings first as she needs the wing muscles to feed her brood. I don't yet know the species of the queen but I'm suspecting it's a camponotus queen but I'm not sure, the queen is 1cm long and 4mm wide, the gastor is bigger than the thorax and she is black. (I haven't got a recent photo of the queen because I am currently away on holiday and will be for the next month. (My mum is still at home though so that's how I know there are eggs and the queen still has her wings)).Is there a species of ant that never drop there wings or don't drop them for a long time? Or should I be worried?Image

Antsinohio

Re: Species ID and wing problem

Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:34 am

Sometimes queen ants will keep their wings till they die or they will remove them later in the founding stage. My camponotus Pennsylvanicus queen didin't take her wings off till she had her first pupae. There is still a chance she's not fertile most fertile camponotus Pennsylvanicus queens will lay eggs in a batch of 5 or 6 then when she gets her first pupae or nanitics she will usually lay her second batch of eggs.

muhilanirudh

Re: Species ID and wing problem

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Recent my I founded a colony of carpenter ants were the queen had wings till it got 20 workers so there is no need to worry.

It does not mean that queen cannot use the wing muscle to feed her brood. With or without wings the protein reserves or wing muscles​ will be used.