Ok my turn to ask!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Ok my turn to ask!

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Ok so it's my turn to ask! So I was in the house and saw a small trail of the same black ants that attacked and more or less killed off my Solenopsis colony (the queen finally died because the last few of the workers I had miss handled her while moving into the Hybrid nest), I move stuff until I saw them go under a envelope and I lifted it only to find about 20-30 works and A QUEEN! There was in fact 2 of them and I was fast enough to catch her and some of the workers. I put them in the out world of the hybrid nest.

Go figure the same species that destroyed my Solenopsis I ended up catching a queen of. LOL My luck has always been weird! Now maybe with your help you can tell me what species this is?

Caught in my house which is located in Tuscaloosa Alabama, Date Today
Here are some pics I took with my pad and hopefully you can tell me?

Sorry My flashlight was dying, if they are not bright enough let me know and I'll try some more

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

larynx

Re: Ok my turn to ask!

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:20 pm

how big are they?
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:32 pm

The Queens maybe 1/4" maybe a hair over. Workers are about an 1/8". What I would call the common little black ant. They get every where and into everything. Hell they even squeezed thru the very fine mesh I had for my fire ants air holes (that's how they over ran the fire ant colony). :(
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:

larynx

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:48 pm

im thinking.... monomorium sp. as these look like the monomorium sp. i have. im not sure, though. but those are the ones that escaped my mesh cover as well. i had to put mine back in a test tube until i get their tiny formicarium done.
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/download/file.php?id=5
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:17 pm

These are more brownish.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin

Gregory2455

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:13 pm

These appear to be Linepithema humile, the Argentine ant. Make sure the queens have lots of workers to help them out as, like Monomorium, the queens will die without about 100 workers constantly helping them.

larynx

Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:06 am

Gregory2455 wrote: Make sure the queens have lots of workers to help them out as, like Monomorium, the queens will die without about 100 workers constantly helping them.
i second that. my monomorium queens struggled pretty hard untill they had well over 75 workers. now they have about 150, and they are going strong.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Vegetable

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:57 pm

They are not Monomorium sp. and, in fact, they do not belong to the subfamily of Myrmecinae at all. You can distinguish it from their petiolus. I have none experience of American ants but it looks like Tapinoma to me. :) Please correct me if I'm wrong.

larynx

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Myrmicinae*
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

larynx

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Gregory2455 wrote:These appear to be Linepithema humile, the Argentine ant. Make sure the queens have lots of workers to help them out as, like Monomorium, the queens will die without about 100 workers constantly helping them.
gregory is usually pretty spot on with american sp. but i have no clue.(heck, i thought they where monomorium minimum. lol
i do know that Linepithema are a lot more common here in the southern US, than Tapinoma though. :D
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer