Help Identify

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

robertleblanc

Help Identify

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:05 pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aZXrBp9VqfLZ5gKP2

Found her July 2, 2017 near Elbow Saskatchewan. I can post another image if needed.

Also I'm wondering if those eggs hatch how long I can leave them in the tube before transferring them to a bigger formicarium?

AntOblivion

Re: Help Identify

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:17 pm

Camponotus Sp. They take about 2 years until they can go into a formicarium. Their eggs take about 2 months to develop and you don't want to move them into a formicarium until about 20 workers

Batspiderfish

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:37 pm

The estimates AntsCanada provided are really worst-case scenarios. It's not unheard of to have your first 20 Camponotus workers in the first five months.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntLove5Ever

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Thats a decent egg pile. Theres probably around ten there, if we give it another 4 months this year, 3 months of hibernating, and a month for the next batch to eclose, we are looking at around 8 months of test tube time. You can put them into an outworld with just test tube, ants australia on YT has a great tutorial on doing a setup like this, I'll embed it in this post