Minot Air Force Base, ND #6

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: Minot Air Force Base, ND #6

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Now they will need a foraging space where they can search for food. Any container with vertical walls should be suitable, so long as it is lined with talcum/isopropanol paint. They will need regular access to fresh sugary liquid and insect protein, just like any other Formica colony.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

FarrAnts

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:21 pm
Now they will need a foraging space where they can search for food. Any container with vertical walls should be suitable, so long as it is lined with talcum/isopropanol paint. They will need regular access to fresh sugary liquid and insect protein, just like any other Formica colony.
So honey? Like sunflower seed honey (I have that) or normal honey or sugarwater?
Ball is life... Ants included.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 pm

It can be honey, maple syrup, or just table sugar mixed with water. Ants like their sweets somewhat dilute.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

FarrAnts

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 pm
It can be honey, maple syrup, or just table sugar mixed with water. Ants like their sweets somewhat dilute.
Awesome. And what pictures do you need to fully make sure this queen is Formica ravida?

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Pictures of the front of the head, showing off the clypeus, will help us determine the sanguinea group from the rufa group. After that we would need photographs detailed enough to show off the hairs on the ant's body.

FarrAnts

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:28 pm
Pictures of the front of the head, showing off the clypeus, will help us determine the sanguinea group from the rufa group. After that we would need photographs detailed enough to show off the hairs on the ant's body.
All right. I'll do my best to get them. Lastly, could you check this link and confirm she is a Formica worker? She looks to be getting along with the queen but I want to make sure.

http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3929

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Yup! That's Formica. The Formica parasite queens usually start hording them the moment they are discovered.

FarrAnts

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm
Yup! That's Formica. The Formica parasite queens usually start hording them the moment they are discovered.
Awesome! Should I get more pupae? I managed to get these using the trick you taught me, and I looked back this evening and are still raiding! Must be from a big formica colony.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 pm

The trick, just in case anybody is wondering, is to keep track of any raiding species like Polyergus or Formica from the sanguinea group. July, when most Formica social parasites are flying, is the same time of year that those raiding species are out stealing the brood of their Formica host species. Robbing the raiders of stolen pupae is a much less destructive method of obtaining brood when you don't have a Formica colony of your own.

Formica social parasites shouldn't be given more pupae than the queen wants to take care of. In my experience, most queens will tend to 6-8 pupae. You don't need very many host workers with Formica.

FarrAnts

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 pm
The trick, just in case anybody is wondering, is to keep track of any raiding species like Polyergus or Formica from the sanguinea group. July, when most Formica social parasites are flying, is the same time of year that those raiding species are out stealing the brood of their Formica host species. Robbing the raiders of stolen pupae is a much less destructive method of obtaining brood when you don't have a Formica colony of your own.

Formica social parasites shouldn't be given more pupae than the queen wants to take care of. In my experience, most queens will tend to 6-8 pupae. You don't need very many host workers with Formica.
Dang.. I got her around 25. Should I take some out?