New Camponotus queens...ID needed

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

New Camponotus queens...ID needed

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Well me and a friend finally met up for the first time yesterday and did some Queen hunting. We came up with three of these Queens and he kept one and I took two but I know they are a Camponotus species but I'm not sure whether they are Camponotus pennsylvanicus or Camponotus chromaiodes due to the red coloring in the legs. If I'm not mistaken, I think Camponotus pennsylvanicus can have this red tint but I'm just wanting to make one hundred percent sure what species they are. This particular one is around 13 mm and all three were caught and rotten logs with a small batch of brood...
These were also taken right before I left for work so if more photos are needed to determine which of the two species they are just let me know. Thanks in advance for any help guys.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Batspiderfish

Re: New Camponotus queens...ID needed

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:25 pm

Any noticeable red, other than on the legs?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:21 am

I will check when I get home but these next two pictures are of one my friend caught about a week ago. I know for a fact it is a Camponotus chromaiodes... I just really haven't looked at the two I brought home yesterday because I want them to get settled in before I stress them anymore.
I can see the other red areas on this one but it was also dark ish when I took the pictures of mine above so I will have to look at them better to tell. I will post better pictures as soon as I get them. I'm sure you are meaning the other red areas will determine which species correct?
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

xTNxANTMANx

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:16 am

So upon closer inspection I don't think there is any more red coloring except for the legs. The stripes on the gaster though do seem more prominent than my other Camponotus pennsylvanicus Queen and they don't seem quite as dark black although they are black with the red legs as you can see. I'm guessing that they still are Camponotus pennsylvanicus though?.......
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Batspiderfish

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:30 am

It's honestly hard to tell; just like I've seen Camponotus pennsylvanicus with red legs, I've seen Camponotus chromaiodes with dark bodies. I think it will be easier once workers arrive. Features to look for will be the style of hair coverage on the gaster and legs, as well as relative length of the antennal scapes.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

xTNxANTMANx

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:54 am

Alrighty, thanks again for the information. Both of the new ones had decent size brood pile when they were caught with at least 5 pupa each so it shouldn't be long before the nanitics arrive.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2