Queen ID Please from Fredericton New Brunswick

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Kris523

Queen ID Please from Fredericton New Brunswick

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:12 am

Hello everyone, Glad to be here.

I was hoping to get this ant ID'd. I know it's a queen, plus it has at least 2 pupae, maybe1-2 mm in length.
The ant was caught last week, June 15th in Fredericton, New Brunswick, and is about 14mm long.
It was found in the parking lot of a suburb.

If the pictures are unclear, or you need another angle, just ask! (first time here, so figuring it out)
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Martialis

Re: Queen ID Please from Fredericton New Brunswick

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:08 am

This is a Myrmentoma-subgenus Camponotus. I would say C. nearcticus or a similar species.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Kris523

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:23 am

Thank you,

I was hoping that was not the case, as I was hoping to move them into a home this year. Will need to keep looking around then!

Batspiderfish

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:05 am

14mm would make this Camponotus novaeboracensis.

Don't be discouraged by the AntsCanada video. It's a little misleading. With proper care, and a little luck, you can have your 20 workers in the first year. Two years is kind of a worst-case scenario (like those who catch their queen at the latest points in the year).

Besides, the health of the colony is more important than how fast they can be moved to a formicarium. They're no harder to observe in a test tube.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.