Queen Identification Found on Mothers Day (May 14th) In Winter Park, Florida

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Psyshock

Queen Identification Found on Mothers Day (May 14th) In Winter Park, Florida

Thu May 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Hello fellow ant enthusiasts!

Im new to keeping ants and Ive caught my first queen! I just need some help identifying her. Ive taken a lot of pictures, hopefully some of them will be good. She would show me her face a lot because she was taking care of her brood. but I think I got some good body shots. I dont have a micro camera lens so this is the best I can do. She was caught on May 14th in Winter Park, Florida (Near Orlando) and already had her wings off. I found her on the sidewalk in a residential area, right by a grassy patch. Boy was she hard to catch! She doesnt seem very hostile, but was stressed when she first was caught. Since then she has calmed down and walks around and cares for her eggs attentively. She is about 5-6 mm long. She is mostly a dark brown/reddish in coloring.

I hope you can help me! Again Im sorry for the photos and if anyone has a way to get better quality pictures I am more than willing to take more for you guys.

Thank you!!

(Edit for grammar)

Martialis

Re: Queen Identification Found on Mothers Day (May 14th) In Winter Park, Florida

Thu May 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Solenopsis invicta, I presume.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Psyshock

Re: Queen Identification Found on Mothers Day (May 14th) In Winter Park, Florida

Thu May 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Martialis wrote:
I was worried about that. Thats what I thought too. Should I let her go, being new to ant keeping Im not sure if I can handle a solonopsis colony. How difficult are they to keep. Besides the stinging (which I have no problem with) is there anything I should be wary about?

Martialis

Thu May 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Psyshock wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 3:52 pm
Martialis wrote:
I was worried about that. Thats what I thought too. Should I let her go, being new to ant keeping Im not sure if I can handle a solonopsis colony. How difficult are they to keep. Besides the stinging (which I have no problem with) is there anything I should be wary about?
NEVER release Solenopsis invicta. They actually cam be quite a fun ant to raise, as they're fast growing and active. If you're thinking Tetramorium is easier, the only way it is that they grow slightly slower and can't sting through our skin. They do bite, though.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Theantguy13

Thu May 25, 2017 5:33 pm

I have kept solenopsis up to the point of about 20 or so nanitics.
They are fairly challenging but they were my first species, and I highly recommend them!