Ant Identificarion

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

yassour67

Ant Identificarion

Thu May 25, 2017 11:50 am

Hey, last week I found this small queen in my room (She was getting rid of her wing) so I took a pen and prepared it for the queen (She's moving freely in the pen's cavity don't worry, I'll keep her there until I find a test tube (They're not available near me, I've even tried to go to a nearby florist for the plastic test tubes)
But the queen seems comfy in her chamber she had layed around 20 very small eggs (It looks like white caviar because she puts them in a small ball) and it looks like she's taking care of them.

Anyway, I still don't know what queen this is.
Her description (I'll put an image below but it's not that clear since the queen is very small) she has a Very dark brown head. Same for the gaster but with some tripes on it. Her thorax and legs are in a reddish brown. She's around 4 mm (Very small compared to the other queen ants I've seen).
So can you please tell me what species is this ant from.
Also I live in Morocco, it's in north africa.

btw, please if you have any suggestions for a better founding chamber (That I could make myself) or is the pen cavity enough for the queen?

Theantguy13

Re: Ant Identificarion

Thu May 25, 2017 12:51 pm

yassour67 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 11:50 am
Hey, last week I found this small queen in my room (She was getting rid of her wing) so I took a pen and prepared it for the queen (She's moving freely in the pen's cavity don't worry, I'll keep her there until I find a test tube (They're not available near me, I've even tried to go to a nearby florist for the plastic test tubes)
But the queen seems comfy in her chamber she had layed around 20 very small eggs (It looks like white caviar because she puts them in a small ball) and it looks like she's taking care of them.

Anyway, I still don't know what queen this is.
Her description (I'll put an image below but it's not that clear since the queen is very small) she has a Very dark brown head. Same for the gaster but with some tripes on it. Her thorax and legs are in a reddish brown. She's around 4 mm (Very small compared to the other queen ants I've seen).
So can you please tell me what species is this ant from.
Also I live in Morocco, it's in north africa.

btw, please if you have any suggestions for a better founding chamber (That I could make myself) or is the pen cavity enough for the queen?
Just for future reference, You might want to crop pictures to zoom in on the queen, or just take pictures closer.

Martialis

Thu May 25, 2017 1:05 pm

I can't really see the ant in the photo that well.. Is it possible to get a closer one?
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Thu May 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Or at least submit the photo in a higher resolution so that we can see anything. This is more like a thumbnail.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

yassour67

Thu May 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Martialis wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 1:05 pm
I can't really see the ant in the photo that well.. Is it possible to get a closer one?
Unfortunately I can't get a closer one (My camera couldn't reach further) but I did give the description, isn't it sufficient?

Martialis

Thu May 25, 2017 3:37 pm

fUnfortunatley, there are many ants that fit that description :( Is it at all possible to post a larger photo?
Keeper of

Selliing:

yassour67

Fri May 26, 2017 10:25 am

https://pasteboard.co/aY0kHiIXb.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/aY1T98lQJ.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/aY2smi5S0.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/aY2YGnrSJ.jpg

By the way I'm sorry for the photos quality, my phone cannot take close pictures so I had to zoom and then crop the queen I'm very very sorry guys I'm just dumb and I cannot figure things out myself.
And could you please tell me how to post and image (last time I posted a thumbnail ant it was really really bad) now I just gave you urls
Thank you again for taking time to help me I really appreciate it

Phoenix

Re: ID Request

Fri May 26, 2017 10:38 am

A Fully-Claustral Queen, Don't Know What Genus She Is Though.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell

Martialis

Fri May 26, 2017 10:43 am

Yup, it's a queen. Although I'm having a hard time identifying her. Maybe back off from the tube just a bit and try to get her in focus?
Keeper of

Selliing:

Theantguy13

Fri May 26, 2017 11:04 am

I'm bad at ID's but, it could be camponotus?
Also might be solenopsis or pheidole.
I really don't know its just a guess.