[Toronto] Need to Identify Lasius sp.

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

eniteris

[Toronto] Need to Identify Lasius sp.

Tue May 23, 2017 10:44 pm

I recently found my first queen, but it's a Lasius umbratus queen, so I'm looking for either Lasius (neo)niger or Lasius alienus workers.

Except I don't really know what they look like.

I feel like this is a Lasius, but I don't know what kind:

I also found a similar ant in yellow/orange, but apparently neither of the host species are orange-coloured.

Also, while turning over rocks, I found (what probably is) a Camponotus worker:

and, of most interest, two colonies (probably Solenopsis and Monomorium, top to bottom), respectively.

Look at the size of the larvae! A quick search revealed that they were queen/male larvae, so I returned them. The Solenopsis carried all the larvae back into the nest in under ten minutes, but the Monomorium needed more help, so I dumped the larvae back under their rock.

I also kept one or two from each to give to my Lasius umbratus queen, but she seems disinterested/scared. She's moved to the other end of the setup, but she's more a bit more active than usual.

Batspiderfish

Re: [Toronto] Need to Identify Lasius sp.

Tue May 23, 2017 11:00 pm

Not detailed enough for identification. Keep in mind that ID requests require measurements. The first worker could be Lasius, but it's hard to tell.

The second worker could also be Formica, but again, it isn't that clear.

The other workers are probably the same species. Not Solenopsis nor Monomorium, although this is the right subfamily.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.