Need help on ID queen

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: Need help on ID queen

Wed May 24, 2017 8:00 am

The larger queen looks like Formica sp. and the smaller one Myrmica or Stenamma. Hard to tell without better pictures.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

barloud604

Thu May 25, 2017 8:47 am

i found them both at the beggining of may i dont know if formica fly in north america at this time and i will try my best to get better pictures but i dont have a very good camera

barloud604

Thu May 25, 2017 8:50 am

same with myrmica they dont fly untill around august in north america, but i could be wrong

barloud604

Thu May 25, 2017 9:00 am

But honestly i havnt even herd of or knew of this many species were i live and i thank you all very much on the insight and help on identifying my queen i will try very hard to get good pictures of the red possible pheidole or stenamma queen becouse i am very curios and she is the one i want to keep

Batspiderfish

Thu May 25, 2017 9:33 am

I don't know the circumstances by which you found these queens, but sometimes Formica are involved in co-founding of colonies and one of the queens will be evicted. Myrmica are semi-claustral, so they are out during the spring foraging for their brood back in the nest.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.