Need help w/ Identification 1

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

JonahH

Need help w/ Identification 1

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:50 pm

Caught this ant in Greenbrier County, WV in an old wooden building on August 8, 2015 at about 1PM on an overcast day. Fairly large, maybe 5/8cm? Found a large amount of them together, all winged. Couldn't tell any difference in the gaster of different ants so I figured they were all queens since it is a fairly large gaster.

Any ideas about species? Am I right that it's a nuptial queen ant?

JonahH

Re: Need help w/ Identification 1

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:52 pm

JonahH wrote:Caught this ant in Greenbrier County, WV in an old wooden building on August 8, 2015 at about 1PM on an overcast day. Fairly large, maybe 5/8cm? Found a large amount of them together, all winged. Couldn't tell any difference in the gaster of different ants so I figured they were all queens since it is a fairly large gaster.

Any ideas about species? Am I right that it's a nuptial queen ant?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JonahH

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:58 pm

Yes they were swarming, I captured a dozen or so and a few have broken off their wings but most have not.

Carl75

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:52 am

I caught queens with and without wings. 1 of my queens has not removed her wings yet, but she has a few eggs.

Other queens I caught had already shed there wings and 1 shed her wings after a few days in her test tube.

Mdrogun

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:25 pm

I'm almost positive this is Crematogaster. It is hard to tell because her wings cover up most of her body. This is definitely a nuptial flight queen. Whether she is fertile or not idk.

jonathan21700

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:41 pm

Crematogaster sp.
Can you make a photo from the side?