Possible Queen and Species ID

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

PotatoDelight

Possible Queen and Species ID

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:13 pm

(Not sure if those images are going to show) But I know their blurry but theyre the best Ive got. I was looking around my backyard looking at ants, I would keep changing positions (i have a small backyard but at least 4 or 5 species) but I hadnt seen one this big in the new backyard before. I didnt get a good look at it but it looked like it had a big arch in its back. I scooped it up in my hands and put it in this low budget tube. Not so sure its a queen or even what species it is.

P.S(It even escaped from the tube I had laying on the carpet and I found it 5 minutes later)

xTNxANTMANx

Re: Possible Queen and Species ID

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Looks like a Camponotus sp worker. I may be wrong on the species but definently a worker.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

PotatoDelight

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Ok thank you. It definitely isnt a camponotus as it isnt big enough by a long shot. Looks fairly normal sized compared to most ants, just hadnt seen that shap before. Behaves strangley also. Like a spider in its movement. And a praying mantis in its behavior. It even reared back on its hind legs several times (it was not near anything other than crawling on my arm skin) when i was carrying it by hand to the tube.

Batspiderfish

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:32 am

A small Camponotus would be from the Myrmentoma subgenus. Camponotus nearcticus is likely the species.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.